Britain and the Middle East in the 9/11 Era
Copyright © 2010 The Royal Institute of International Affairs
Author(s): Dr Rosemary Hollis
Published Online: 17 AUG 2010 03:56AM EST
Print ISBN: 9781405102971
Online ISBN: 9781444324365
About this Book
This authoritative book examines British policy in the Middle East, focusing on how Britain's response to 9/11 - particularly the decision to join the US invasion of Iraq - has affected its role and relations in the region.
- Establishes what was 'new' about the New Labour approach and policies towards the Middle East and what changed as a result of 9/11 and the 'war on terror'
- Analyses in detail how the Blair government handled the Iraq crisis, invasion and fallout, including developments in relations with Iran
- Documents Britain's 'niche' role in the Middle East peace process.
- Argues that arms sales, trade and finance bind Britain to the Arab Gulf states
- Traces Britain 's involvement in US-regional security arrangements