A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Editor(s): Sharon L. James, Sheila Dillon
Published Online: 13 FEB 2012 09:34AM EST
Print ISBN: 9781405192842
Online ISBN: 9781444355024
About this Book
Selected by Choice as a 2012 Outstanding Academic Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable Mention as a Single Volume Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World presents an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based collection of newly-commissioned essays from prominent scholars on the study of women in the ancient world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based collection of readings to address the study of women in the ancient world
- Explores a broad range of topics relating to women in antiquity, including: Mother-Goddess Theory; Women in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the Near East; Women and the Family, the State, and Religion; Dress and Adornment; Female Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial Women; Women in Late Antiquity; Early Women Saints; and many more
- Thematically arranged to emphasize the importance of historical themes of continuity, development, and innovation
- Reconsiders much of the well-known evidence and preconceived notions relating to women in antiquity
- Includes contributions from many of the most prominent scholars associated with the study of women in antiquity