Sonographic appearances of small hepatic nodules without tumor stain on contrast-enhanced computed tomography and angiography
Article first published online: 6 DEC 1998
Copyright © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Journal of Clinical Ultrasound
Volume 26, Issue 6, pages 303–307, July/August 1998
How to Cite
Iwasaki, M., Furuse, J., Yoshino, M., Ryu, M., Moriyama, N. and Mukai, K. (1998), Sonographic appearances of small hepatic nodules without tumor stain on contrast-enhanced computed tomography and angiography. J. Clin. Ultrasound, 26: 303–307. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0096(199807/08)26:6<303::AID-JCU4>3.0.CO;2-M
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 1998
- Article first published online: 6 DEC 1998
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 NOV 1997
- Manuscript Received: 11 OCT 1996
- hepatic nodule;
- needle biopsy;
- hepatocellular carcinoma;
- computed tomography;
We report the sonographic appearances and pathologic findings for hepatic nodules 2 cm or smaller that were detected by sonography but that did not produce a tumor stain on constrast-enhanced helical CT or digital subtraction angiography.
Sixty-six nodules 2 cm or less were found by sonography in 39 patients. Sonographically guided needle biopsies were done on all lesions.
Twenty-seven nodules were benign nodules, 9 were borderline lesions, and 30 were hepatocellular carcinomas. Benign nodules were significantly smaller than hepatocellular carcinomas (mean size, 1.0 cm versus 1.4 cm, respectively; p <0.00001). Nodules 1 cm or smaller were more likely to be diagnosed as benign nodules (68%) than as either of the other types (32%; p = 0.01). A significantly greater percentage of hepatocellular carcinomas showed a heterogeneous pattern (64%) on sonography compared with benign nodules (25%) and borderline lesions (11%; p = 0.04). In nodules 1 cm or smaller, a homogeneous pattern (68%) was more common than a heterogeneous pattern (32%; p = 0.01).
The nature of small hepatic nodules cannot be determined with sonography. Thus, biopsy remains the only technique for obtaining a definitive diagnosis. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. J Clin Ultrasound 26:303–307, 1998.