Knowledge and attitude on screening mammography among low-literate, low-income women
Version of Record online: 6 DEC 1998
Copyright © 1996 American Cancer Society
Volume 78, Issue 9, pages 1912–1920, 1 November 1996
How to Cite
Davis, T. C., Arnold, C., Berkel, H., Nandy, I., Jackson, R. H. and Glass, J. (1996), Knowledge and attitude on screening mammography among low-literate, low-income women. Cancer, 78: 1912–1920. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19961101)78:9<1912::AID-CNCR11>3.0.CO;2-0
- Issue online: 6 DEC 1998
- Version of Record online: 6 DEC 1998
- Manuscript Revised: 22 JUL 1996
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUL 1996
- Manuscript Received: 1 DEC 1995
- National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland. Grant Number: 1R03-CA59235
- Cancer Center for Excellence and Research, Treatment and Education, LSUMC-S
- 2Adult literacy in america: a first look at the result of the national adult literacy survey. Washington DC: National Center for Education Statistics, U.S. Dept. Of Education, 1993., , , .
- 3U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives. Washington DC: U.S. Printing Office, DHHS Publication No. (PHS) 91-50213, 1991: 72, 115.
- 4American Cancer Society. Cancer and the socioeconomically disadvantaged. CA Cancer J Clin 1989; 39: 263–95.
- 7Breast cancer socioeconomic and racial comparison between hospital populations [abstract]. Clin Res 1993; 41: 235A., , .
- 9U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Breast cancer risk factors and screening: United States,1987 Washington DC: Vital and Health Statistics, National Center for Health Statistics, 1987: 13–26.
- 11National Center for Educational Statistics, Educational Testing Services, Office of Education, Research, and Improvement, U.S. Department of Education. Adult Literacy in America. 1993.
- 12Enhancing adult literacy: A policy guide. Washington, DC: Council of State Policy and Planning Agencies, 1987., .
- 13Reading level analysis of written materials distributed by the Ohio Cancer Information Service. Columbus, Ohio: Adult Literacy Center for Individual and Organizational Development, 1990..
- 15Partners in practice: the Literacy and Health Project Phase Two. August 1990-October 1992. Summary Report. Toronto, Ontario, Ontario Public Health Association, 1993..
- 18Teaching patients with low-literacy skills. 2nd edition. Philadelphia: J.B.Lippincott, 1996., .
- 19The challenge in diabetes education: So that the client may understand. Diabetes Care Educ 1993; 14 (2): 9–11., .
- 22National Cancer Institute, National Work Group on Cancer and Literacy, Bethesda, MD, May 7, 1992.
- 23Rapid estimate of adult literacy in medicine: a shortened screening instrument. Fam Med 1993; 25 (6): 256–60., , , , , . et al.
- 24Literacy in the United States: readers and reading since 1880. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1991., , , ,
- 26SAS (R) Release 6. 11 edition. Cary NC: SAS Institute Inc., 1994.
- 27Results of a novel screening mammography program. Clin Res 1992; 40: 868a., .
- 31Readability of American Cancer Society patient education literature. Oncolo Nurs Forum 1992; 19 (1): 51–5., , .
- 33Improving mammography screening use in low-income, low-literate women. J Invest Med 1996; 44 (1): 57A., .