This research was undertaken by the New South Wales (NSW) Cancer Council Supportive Care Review Group and the Cancer Education Research Program, directed by Professor Rob Sanson-Fisher, Ph.D., until to November 1997. The Supportive Care Review Group includes Stephen Ackland, M.B.B.S., Robin Baker, Dip.Soc.Studs., Martin Berry, M.B.B.S., James Biggs, Ph.D., Jim Bishop, M.D., Les Bokey, M.S., Alison Burnard, R.N., Cert.M., Philip Clingan, M.B.B.S., Patrick Cregan, M.B.B.S., Stewart Dunn, Ph.D., Michael Friedlander, Ph.D., Kerry Goulston, M.D., Neville Hacker, M.D., John Kearsley, Ph.D., Allan Langlands, M.B.Ch.B., John Levi, M.D., Eugene Moylan, M.B.B.S., John Stewart, M.B.B.S., and Martin Tattersall, M.D. The views expressed are not necessarily those of the Cancer Council.
The unmet supportive care needs of patients with cancer
Version of Record online: 20 NOV 2000
Copyright © 2000 American Cancer Society
Volume 88, Issue 1, pages 226–237, 1 January 2000
How to Cite
Sanson-Fisher, R., Girgis, A., Boyes, A., Bonevski, B., Burton, L., Cook, P. and Supportive Care Review Group (2000), The unmet supportive care needs of patients with cancer. Cancer, 88: 226–237. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(20000101)88:1<226::AID-CNCR30>3.0.CO;2-P
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2000
- Version of Record online: 20 NOV 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 AUG 1999
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUN 1999
- 1Treatment in cancer control. In: JerryLM, StjernswardJ, editors. Advances in national cancer control: managerial aspects. Canada: World Health Organisation Collaborating Centre for Cancer Control, 1994: 23–49..
- 2American Cancer Society. Cancer facts and figures [online]. New York: American Cancer Society, 1998. Available from URL: http://www.cancer.org/statistics/cff98/basicfacts.html[accessed Oct 2, 1998].
- 3Cancer Research Campaign. About cancer [online]. London: Cancer Research Campaign, 1998. Available from URL: http://www.crc.org.uk/cancer/aboutcan_stats1.html[accessed Apr 20, 1998].
- 4Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australia's Health 1996: the fifth biennial health report of the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Canberra: AGPS, 1996.
- 5South Australian Cancer Registry. Epidemiology of cancer in South Australia, 1977ndash;95. Adelaide: South Australian Health Commission, 1996.
- 8Quality of life of patients with sarcoma postchemotherapy. Oncol Nurs Forum 1991; 18: 1221–7., , , .
- 16Satisfaction with breast cancer care: a summary of the literature, 1984–1994. Sydney: NHMRC National Breast Cancer Centre, 1995., .
- 20Needs assessment in tertiary and secondary oncology practice: a conceptual and methodological exposition [Ph.D. dissertation]. Newcastle: University of Newcastle, 1996..
- 23Measuring the unmet needs of people living with cancer. Cancer Forum 1995; 19: 131–5., .
- 26Assessing the perceived needs of patients attending an outpatient melanoma clinic. J Psychosoc Oncol. In press., , , , .
- 32NSW Health. Optimising Cancer Management Project—Cancer Care Model for NSW. Volume 1. Sydney: NSW Health, 1997.
- 34Cancer in New South Wales: incidence and mortality, 1994. Sydney: New South Wales Cancer Council, 1997., .
- 35Applied logistic regression. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1989., .
- 43Psychosocial support for breast cancer patients provided by members of the treatment team: a summary of the literature, 1976–1996. Sydney: NHMRC National Breast Cancer Centre, 1998., .
- 45Counselling breast cancer patients: a specialist nurse service. Counselling Psychol Quarterly 1988; 1: 25–34., , , .
- 50Psychosocial interventions in adult cancer patients with coronary heart disease and cancer: a literature review. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 1992; 14(6 Suppl ): 28–42., , .