Expression of retinol binding protein and transthyretin during early embryogenesis
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 1998
Copyright © 1998 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 212, Issue 3, pages 413–422, July 1998
How to Cite
Barron, M., McAllister, D., Smith, S. M. and Lough, J. (1998), Expression of retinol binding protein and transthyretin during early embryogenesis. Dev. Dyn., 212: 413–422. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0177(199807)212:3<413::AID-AJA9>3.0.CO;2-K
- Issue online: 7 DEC 1998
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 1998
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAR 1998
- Manuscript Received: 24 NOV 1997
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: HL 39829
- Developmental abnormalities in cultured mouse embryos deprived of retinoic acid by inhibition of yolk-sac retinol binding protein synthesis. Proc. Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93: 3110–3114. , , .
- Differential expression of the insulin-like growth factor II and transthyretin genes in the developing rat choroid plexus. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 1993; 52: 153–162. , , , .
- Retinoic acid is enriched in Hensen's node and is developmentally regulated in the early chicken embryo. Proc. Natl Acad Sci USA 1992; 89: 10056–10059. , , , .
- Induction of normal cardiovascular development in the vitamin A-deprived quail embryo by natural retinoids. Dev Biol 1993; 160: 424–433. , .
- Endogenous retinoids in the early avian embryo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1995; 217: 1026–1031. , .
- Retinoic acid can block differentiation of the myocardium after heart specification. Dev Biol 1997; 188: 205–215. , , , .
- Isolation, characterization, cDNA cloning and gene expression of an avian transthyretin. Eur J Biochem 1991; 200: 679–687. , , , , , , .
- RXRα deficiency confers genetic susceptibility for aortic sac, conotruncal, atrioventricular cushion, and ventricular muscle defects in mice. J Clin Invest 1996; 98: 1332–1343. , , , , , .
- In situ hybridization: An improved whole mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 1991; 36: 685–695. .
- Effects of retinoid deficiency on the development of the heart and vascular system of the quail embryo. Virchows Arch 1985; 50: 135–152. , , , , .
- Retinoids in development. In: SpornMB, RobertsAB, GoodmanDS, eds. The Retinoids: Biology, Chemistry and Medicine, 2nd ed. New York: Raven Press, 1994; 387–441. , .
- Thyroid hormone receptor α isoforms generated by alternative splicing differentially activate myosin HC gene transcription. Nature 1988; 334: 593–595. , .
- Vitamin A deficiency and mutations of RXRα, RXRβ and RARα lead to early differentiation of embryonic ventricular cardiomyocytes. Development 1997a; 124: 4749–4758. , , , , , , , .
- Genetic evidence that the retinoid signal is transduced by heterodimeric RXR/RAR functional units during mouse development. Development 1997b; 124: 313–326. , , , , , , .
- Distribution of basement membrane antigens in cryopreserved early embryonic hearts. Anat Rec 1987; 217: 379–390. , , .
- Dorsal-ventral patterning and differentiation of noggin-induced neural tissue in the absence of mesoderm. Development 1995; 121: 1927–1936. , , , .
- Secretion of inhibin βA by endoderm cultured from early embryonic chicken. Dev Biol 1991; 146: 242–245. , , .
- A role for fibronectin in the migration of avian precardiac cells. I. Dose-dependent effects of fibronectin antibody. Dev Biol 1988; 129: 315–323. , .
- Combined BMP-2 and FGF-4, but neither factor alone, induces cardiogenesis in non-precardiac embryonic mesoderm. Dev Biol 1996; 178: 198–198. , , , , , .
- An in situhybridization study of the localization of retinol-binding protein and transthyretin messenger RNAs during fetal development in the rat. Differentiation 1989; 40: 17–25. , , , .
- The retinoid receptors. In: SpornMB, RobertsAB, GoodmanDS, eds. The Retinoids: Biology, Chemistry and Medicine, 2nd ed. New York: Raven Press, Ltd, 1994; 319–349. , , .
- Sequence from picomole quantities of proteins electroblotted onto polyvinylidene difluoride membranes. J Biol Chem 1987; 262: 10035–10038. .
- Embryonic development and pattern formation. FASEB J 1996; 10: 961–968. , .
- Prealbumin gene expression during mouse development studied by in situ hybridization. Cell Differ. 1987; 22: 1–10. , , , . , , .
- Inhibition of outflow cushion mesenchyme formation in retinoic acid-induced complete transposition of the great arteries. Cardiovasc Res 1996; 31: E77–E85. , , , .
- The effects of retinoic acid on heart formation in the early chick embryo. Development 1991; 113: 1405–1417. , , , .
- Localization of bFGF-like proteins as punctate inclusions in the preseptation myocardium of the chicken embryo. Dev Biol 1991; 146: 139–147. , , , .
- L-Thyroxine and 3,5,3′-triiodothyronine concentrations in the chicken egg and in the embryo before and after the onset of thyroid function. Endocrinology 1992; 130: 2651–2659. , , , .
- Energy deprivation and a deficiency in downstream metabolic target genes during the onset of embryonic heart failure in RXRα-/- embryos. Development 1998; 125: 533–544. , , , , , , , .
- Induction of avian cardiac myogenesis by anterior endoderm. Development 1995; 121: 4203–4214. , , .
- A role for bone morphogenetic proteins in the induction of cardiac myogenesis. Genes Dev 1997; 11: 451–462. , , .
- New insights into retinoid signaling in cardiac development and physiology. Trends Cardiovasc Med 1997; 7: 53–58. , .
- Retinol-binding protein and transthyretin mRNA levels in visceral yolk sac and liver during fetal development in the rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1986; 83: 7330–7334. , , .
- Plasma retinol-binding protein. In: SpornMB, RobertsAB, GoodmanDS, eds. The Retinoids: Biology, Chemistry and Medicine, 2nd edition. New York: Raven Press, Ltd, 1994; 257–281. , .
- Patterning the zebrafish heart tube: acquisition of anteroposterior polarity. Dev Biol 1992; 153: 91–101. , .
- RXR mutant mice establish a genetic basis for vitamin A signaling in heart morphogenesis. Genes Dev 1994; 8: 1007–1018. , , , , , .
- Onset of expression and regional deposition of alpha-smooth and sarcomeric actin during avian heart development. Dev Dyn 1992; 193: 116–124. , .
- Anterior endoderm is a specific effector of terminal cardiac myocyte differentiation of cells from the embryonic heart forming region. Dev Dyn 1994; 200: 155–162. , .
- Activin-A and FGF-2 mimic the inductive effects of anterior endoderm on terminal cardiac myogenesis in vitro. Dev Biol 1995; 169: 567–574. , .
- The expression of transthyretin mRNA in the developing rat brain. Dev Biol 1988; 128: 415–427. , , , , .
- Dev Biol 1995; 225–234. , , . Anti-retinoic acid monoclonal antibody localizes all-trans-retinoic acid in target cells and blocks normal development in early quail embryo.
- Transport and uptake of retinol during chicken oocyte growth. Biochim Biophys Acta 1993; 1169: 250–256. , .
- Retinol in avian oogenesis: Molecular properties of the carrier protein. DNA Cell Biol 1995a; 14: 403–410. , , .
- Transport of serum transthyretin into chicken oocytes. A receptor-mediated mechanism. J Biol Chem 1995b; 270: 2952–2956. , , .
- Studies on the metabolism of retinol and retinolbinding protein in transthyretin-deficient mice produced by homologous recombination. J Biol Chem 1995; 270: 866–870. , , , , , , .
- Diversification of cardiomyogenic cell lineages in vitro. Dev Biol 1995; 170: 531–541. , , .
- Evidence that fibroblast growth factors 1 and 4 participate in regulation of cardiogenesis. Dev Dyn 1996; 207: 429–438. , , , .