Role of N-cadherin in the sorting-out of mesenchymal cells and in the positional identity along the proximodistal axis of the chick limb bud
Version of Record online: 15 NOV 1999
Copyright © 1999 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 216, Issue 3, pages 274–284, November 1999
How to Cite
Yajima, H., Yonei-Tamura, S., Watanabe, N., Tamura, K. and Ide, H. (1999), Role of N-cadherin in the sorting-out of mesenchymal cells and in the positional identity along the proximodistal axis of the chick limb bud. Dev. Dyn., 216: 274–284. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0177(199911)216:3<274::AID-DVDY6>3.0.CO;2-S
- Issue online: 15 NOV 1999
- Version of Record online: 15 NOV 1999
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 AUG 1999
- Manuscript Received: 21 JUN 1999
- 1988. A gradient of responsiveness to the growth-promoting activity of ZPA (zone of polarizing activity) in the chick limb bud. Dev Biol 128:136–141.Medline , .
- 1998. The expression and regulation of chick EphA7 suggests roles in limb patterning and innervation. Development 125:4195–4204.Medline , , , , .
- 1996. N-cadherin is involved in myoblast migration and muscle differentiation in the avian limb bud. Dev Biol 178:160–173.Medline , , , , , .
- 1992. GHox-7: a chicken homeobox-containing gene expressed in a fashion consistent with a role in patterning events during embryonic chick limb development. Differentiation 49:85–92.Medline , , , .
- 1988a. Retinoic acid coordinately proximalizes regenerate pattern and blastema differential affinity in axolotl limbs. Development 102:687–698.Medline , .
- 1988b. Retinoic acid proximalizes level-specific properties responsible for intercalary regeneration in axolotl limbs. Development 104:703–712.Medline , .
- 1996. A mutational analysis of the 5′ HoxD genes: dissection of genetic interactions during limb development in the mouse. Development 122:1175–1185.Medline , .
- 1995. Absence of radius and ulna in mice lacking hoxa-11 and hoxd-11. Nature 375:791–795.Medline , , , , .
- 1993. Disruption of the Hoxd-13 gene induces localized heterochrony leading to mice with neotenic limbs. Cell 75:431–441.Medline , , , , , , .
- 1996. Functional cooperation between the non-paralogous genes Hoxa-10 and Hoxd-11 in the developing forelimb and axial skeleton. Development 122:449–460.Medline , , , , , .
- 1993. Segmental organization of embryonic diencephalon. Nature 363:630–634.Medline , .
- 1993. Dispersion of neural progenitors within the germinal zones of the forebrain. Nature 362:636–638.Medline , , .
- 1990. Segmentation in the chick embryo hindbrain is defined by cell lineage restrictions. Nature 344:431–435.Medline , , .
- 1996. Hoxa-13 and Hoxd-13 play a crucial role in the patterning of the limb autopod. Development 122:2997–3011.Medline , , , , , .
- 1997. N-cadherin promotes the commitment and differentiation of skeletal muscle precursor cells. Dev Biol 185:14–24.Medline , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stage in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88:49–92. , .
- 1997. Msx1 expressing mesoderm is important for the apical ectodermal ridge (AER)-signal transfer in chick limb development. Dev Growth Differ 39:705–714.Medline , .
- 1987. Spatial and temporal expression pattern of N-cadherin cell adhesion molecules correlated with morphogenetic processes of chicken embryos. Dev Biol 120:215–227.Medline , , , .
- 1986. Expression of N-cadherin adhesion molecules associated with early morphogenetic events in chick development. Nature 320:447–449.Medline , .
- 1984. Limb bud chondrogenesis in cell culture, with particular reference to serum concentration in the culture medium. Exp Cell Res 150:338–346.Medline , .
- 1995. Myogenic cell migration from somites is induced by tissue contact with medial region of the presumptive limb mesoderm in chick embryos. Development 121:661–669.Medline , .
- 1977. The chondrogenic pattern in chick limb morphogenesis: A problem of development and evolution.Vertebrate limb and somite morphogenesis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1999. Eph receptors and ephrins: effectors of morphogenesis. Development 126:2033–2044.Medline , .
- 1988. Retinoic acid promotes proliferation and chondrogenesis in the distal mesodermal cells of chick limb bud. Dev Biol 130:767–773.Medline , .
- 1994. Sorting out of cells from different parts and stages of the chick limb bud. Dev Biol 162:71–76.Medline , , .
- 1997. Distributions of PAX6 and PAX7 proteins suggest their involvement in both early and late phases of chick brain development. Mech Dev 66:119–130.Medline , , , .
- 1995. Cadherin-11 expressed in association with mesenchymal morphogenesis in the head, somite, and limb bud of early mouse embryos. Dev Biol 169:347–358.Medline , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Hox homeobox genes and regionalisation of the nervous system. J Neurobiol 24:1328–1340.Medline , , , , , .
- 1998. Msh homeobox genes regulate cadherin-mediated cell adhesion and cell-cell sorting. J Cell Biochem 70:22–28.Medline , , , , .
- 1988a. Guidance of optic nerve fibres by N-cadherin adhesion molecules. Nature 334:62–64.Medline , , , .
- 1988b. Role of N-cadherin cell adhesion molecules in the histogenesis of neural retina. Neuron 1:289–295.Medline , , .
- 1995. Fetal brain subdivisions defined by R- and E-cadherin expressions: evidence for the role of cadherin activity in region-specific, cell-cell adhesion. Dev Biol 172:466–478.Medline , .
- 1997. N-cadherin is crucial for heart formation in the chick embryo. Dev Growth Differ 39:451–455.Medline , .
- 1998. Neural crest emigration from the neural tube depends on regulated cadherin expression. Development 125:2963–2971.Medline , .
- 1983. Surface properties of regenerating limb cells: evidence for gradation along the proximodistal axis. Differentiation 25:27–31. , .
- 1996. Analysis of Hox gene expression in the chick limb bud. Development 122:1449–1466.Medline , , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. The distal boundary of myogenic primordia in chimeric avian limb buds and its relation to an accessible population of cartilage progenitor cells. Dev Biol 84:440–448. , , .
- 1994a. Expression and functional involvement of N-cadherin in embryonic limb chondrogenesis. Development 120:177–187.Medline , .
- 1994b. Spatiotemporal profile of N-cadherin expression in the developing limb mesenchyme. Cell Adhesion Comm 2:521–537.Medline , .
- 1996. The receptor tyrosine kinase, Cek8, is transiently expressed on subtypes of motoneurons in the spinal cord during development. Mech Dev 54:59–69.Medline , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Mechanical aspects of mesenchymal morphogenesis. J Embryol Exp Morphol 78:83–125.Medline , , .
- 1985. A model for chondrogenic condensations in the developing limb: the role of extracellular matrix and cell tractions. J Embryol Exp Morphol 89:93–112.Medline , , .
- 1997. N-cadherin protein distribution in normal embryos and in embryos carrying mutations in the homeobox gene Hoxa-4. Int J Dev Biol 41:459–468.Medline , , , , .
- 1996. Expression and regulation of Cek-8, a cell to cell signalling receptor in developing chick limb buds. Development 122:1147–1155.Medline , , , , , , .
- 1980. The origin of skeletal structures during intercalary regeneration of larval Ambystoma limbs. Dev Biol 79:255–275.Medline , .
- 1993. Expression patterns of homeobox and other putative regulatory genes in the embryonic mouse forebrain suggest a neuromeric organization. Trends Neurosci 16:472–479.Medline , .
- 1997. Developmental defects in mouse embryos lacking N-cadherin. Dev Biol (Orlando) 181:64–78. , , , , , .
- 1991. The apical ectodermal ridge regulates Hox-7 and Hox-8 gene expression in developing chick limb buds. Genes Dev 5:2363–2374.Medline , , , , .
- 1992. Apical ridge dependent and independent mesodermal domains of GHox-7 and GHox-8 expression in chick limb buds. Development 116:811–818.Medline , , , , , .
- 1982. Spatial and temporal patterns of cell death in limb bud mesoderm after apical ectodermal ridge removal. Dev Biol 93:83–91.Medline , , .
- 1994. The embryonic vertebrate forebrain: the prosomeric model. Science 266:578–580.Medline , , , .
- 1948. The proximo-distal sequence of the origin of the parts of the chick wing and the role of the ectoderm. J Exp Zool 108:363–404. .
- 1995. Longitudinal organization of the anterior neural plate and neural tube. Development 121:3923–3933.Medline , , , , .
- 1993. Homeotic transformations and limb defects in Hox A11 mutant mice. Genes Dev 7:2318–2328.Medline , .
- 1994. Experimental specification of cell sorting, tissue spreading, and specific spatial patterning by quantitative differences in cadherin expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91:206–209.Medline , .
- 1994. Roles of Pax-genes in developing and adult brain as suggested by expression patterns. J Neurosci 14:1395–1412.Medline , .
- 1974. A quantitative analysis of the effect of excision of the AER from the chick limb-bud. J Embryol Exp Morphol 32:651–660.Medline .
- 1975. Time, place and positional value in the chick limb-bud. J Embryol Exp Morphol 33:621–643.Medline , .
- 1973. Positional information in chick limb morphogenesis. Nature 244:492–496. , , .
- 1997. Retinoic acid changes the proximodistal developmental competence and affinity of distal cells in the developing chick limb bud. Dev Biol 188:224–234.Medline , , , .
- 1994. N-CAM and N-cadherin expression during in vitro chondrogenesis. Exp Cell Res 215:354–362.Medline , , , , .
- 1994. Sorting out of limb bud cells in monolayer culture. Int J Dev Biol 38:351–356.Medline , .
- 1993. Cell sorting and chondrogenic aggregate formation in limb bud recombinants and in culture. Dev Growth Differ 35:421–430. , , .
- 1998. Glycosyl-phosphatidylinositol-anchored cell surface proteins regulate position-specific cell affinity in the limb bud. Dev Biol 202:244–252.Medline , , , , .
- 1998. Cadherin expression in the retina and retinofugal pathways of the chicken embryo. J Comp Neurol 396:20–38.Medline , , , , .
- 1969. Positional information and the spatial pattern of cellular differentiation. J Theor Biol 25:1–47.Medline .
- 1975. Morphogenesis of the vertebrate limb. Ciba Found Symp 29:95–130.Medline , , .
- 1991a. Chicken homeobox gene Msx-1: structure, expression in limb buds and effect of retinoic acid. Development 113:431–444.Medline , , , .
- 1991b. Homeobox gene expression correlated with the bifurcation process of limb cartilage development. Nature 353:443–445.Medline , , .
- 1995. Misexpression of Hoxa-13 induces cartilage homeotic transformation and changes cell adhesiveness in chick limb buds. Genes Dev 9:2509–2522.Medline , , , , , , .