MMP-2 expression during early avian cardiac and neural crest morphogenesis
Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2000
Copyright © 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 259, Issue 2, pages 168–179, 1 June 2000
How to Cite
Cai, D. H., Vollberg, T. M., Hahn-Dantona, E., Quigley, J. P. and Brauer, P. R. (2000), MMP-2 expression during early avian cardiac and neural crest morphogenesis. Anat. Rec., 259: 168–179. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0185(20000601)259:2<168::AID-AR7>3.0.CO;2-U
- Issue online: 16 MAY 2000
- Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JAN 2000
- Manuscript Received: 28 OCT 1999
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Grant Number: HL50397
- American Heart Association (National). Grant Number: 9650218N
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: CA55852
- 1996. Urokinase-type plasminogen activator mediates cranial neural crest cell migration in vitro. Dev Dynam 207: 281–290. , .
- 1995. Matrix metalloproteinase-2 is an interstitial collagenase. Inhibitor- free enzyme catalyzes the cleavage of collagen fibrils and soluble native type I collagen generating the specific 3/4- and 1/4-length fragments. J Biol Chem 270: 5872–5876. , .
- 1994. Cloning of a 72 kDa matrix metalloproteinase (gelatinase) from chicken embryo fibroblasts using gene family PCR: expression of the gelatinase increases upon malignant transformation. Biochem J 300: 729–736. , , .
- 1997. Spatial and temporal expression of the 72-kDa type IV collagenase (MMP- 2) correlates with development and differentiation of valves in the embryonic avian heart. Dev Dynam 209: 261–268. , , , .
- 1997. Early- and late-migrating cranial neural crest cell populations have equivalent developmental potential in vivo. Development 124: 3077–3087. , , , .
- 1987. Effect of neural crest ablation on development of the heart and arch arteries in the chick. Am J Anat 180: 332–341. , , , , .
- 1993. Cranial neural crest cells synthesize and secrete a latent form of TGF-beta that can be activated by neural crest cell proteolysis. Dev Biol 155: 281–285. , .
- 1985. The distribution and spatial organization of the extracellular matrix encountered by mesencephalic neural crest cells. Anat Rec 211: 57–68. , , .
- 1986. Analysis of the early stages of trunk neural crest migration in avian embryos using monoclonal antibody HNK-1. Dev Biol 115: 44–55. .
- 1998. Disruption of angiogenesis by PEX, a noncatalytic metalloproteinase fragment with integrin binding activity. Cell 92: 391–400. , , , , .
- 1995. The receptor for urokinase-type plasminogen activator is not essential for mouse development or fertility. J Biol Chem 270: 16886–16894. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Physiological consequences of loss of plasminogen activator gene function in mice. Nature 368: 419–424. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinases regulate morphogenesis, migration and remodeling of epithelium, tongue skeletal muscle and cartilage in the mandibular arch. Development 124: 1519–1530. , .
- 1991. Endothelial cell origin and migration in embryonic heart and cranial blood vessel development. Anat Rec 231: 383–395. , .
- 1977. Experimental study of the development of the truncus and the conus in the chick embryo. J Anat 123: 661–686. , , , .
- 1993. Early formation of the vascular system in quail embryos. Anat Rec 235: 261–274. , , , , .
- 1989. Plasminogen activator activity is associated with neural crest cell motility in tissue culture. J Exp Zool 251: 123–133. , .
- 1992. The interglobular domain of cartilage aggrecan is cleaved by PUMP, gelatinases, and cathepsin B. J Biol Chem 267: 19470–19474. , , , , , .
- 1997. Induction of cell migration by matrix metalloprotease-2 cleavage of laminin-5. Science 277: 225–228. , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of matrix metalloprotease-2-cleaved laminin-5 in breast remodeling stimulated by sex steroids. Am J Pathol 154: 1193–1201. , , , , .
- 1998. Three-dimensional type I collagen lattices induce coordinate expression of matrix metalloproteinases MT1-MMP and MMP-2 in microvascular endothelial cells. J Biol Chem 273: 3604–3610. , , .
- 2000. The isolation, characterization and molecular cloning of gelatinase C, a new member of the gelatinase subclass in the matrix metalloproteinase family. (submitted). , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1998. Reduced angiogenesis and tumor progression in gelatinase A-deficient mice. Cancer Res 58: 1048–1051. , , , , , .
- 1998. Matrix metalloproteinases. Curr Opin Chem Biol 2: 466–471. , , .
- 1994. Inhibition of angiogenesis by tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase. J Cell Physiol 160: 194–202. , , , , , .
- 1987. Cardiac morphogenesis—recent research advances. Pediatr Res 21: 219–224. .
- 1975. Mesenchymal derivatives of the neural crest: analysis of chimaeric quail and chick embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 34: 125–154. , .
- 1988a. A role for fibronectin in the migration of avian precardiac cells. I. Dose-dependent effects of fibronectin antibody. Dev Biol 129: 315–323. , .
- 1988b. A role for fibronectin in the migration of avian precardiac cells. II. Rotation of the heart-forming region during different stages and its effects. Dev Biol 129: 324–329. , .
- 1984. Use of collagen gel cultures to study heart development: proteoglycan and glycoprotein interactions during the formation of endocardial cushion tissue. In: TrelstadRL, editor. The role of extracellular matrix in development. 42nd symposium of the society for developmental biology. New York: Alan R. Liss. p 323–350. , , , , , .
- 1987. Basal lamina is not a barrier to neural crest cell emigration: Documentation by TEM and by immunofluorescent and immunogold labeling. Development 101: 517–533. , .
- 1990. Growth factor-regulated proteases and extracellular matrix remodeling during mammalian development. Curr Top Dev Biol 24: 219–259. , .
- 1993. Inhibition of urokinase synthesis and cell surface binding alters the motile behavior of embryonic endocardial-derived mesenchymal cells in vitro. Development 118: 931–939. , .
- 1992. Urokinase activity in the developing avian heart: a spatial and temporal analysis. Dev Dynam 193: 24–33. , .
- 1999. Epidermal growth factor receptor function is necessary for normal craniofacial development and palate closure. Nature Genet 22: 69–73. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Biology and biochemistry of proteinases in tumor invasion. Physiol Rev 73: 161–195. , .
- 1991. Temporospatial study of the migration and distribution of cardiac neural crest in quail-chick chimeras. Am J Anat 192: 79–88. , , , .
- 1992. A PDGF receptor mutation in the mouse (Patch) perturbs the development of a non-neuronal subset of neural crest-derived cells. Development 115: 133–142. , , , , .
- 1997. Activation mechanisms of matrix metalloproteinases. Biol Chem 378: 151–160. .
- 1998. Cell surface activation of progelatinase A (proMMP-2) and cell migration. Cell Res 8: 179–186. .
- 1990. Matrix metalloproteinase 2 from human rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts. Purification and activation of the precursor and enzymic properties. Eur J Biochem 194: 721–730. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Conotruncus and its septation at the advent of the molecular biology era. In: ClarkEB, MarkwaldRM, TakaoA, editors. Developmental mechanisms of heart disease. Armonk, NY: Futura. p 227–247. .
- 1998. Neural crest cells in outflow tract septation of the embryonic chicken heart: differentiation and apoptosis. Dev Dynam 212: 373–384. , , .
- 1999. Diminished matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) in ectomesenchyme-derived tissues of the Patch mutant mouse: regulation of MMP-2 by PDGF and effects on mesenchymal cell migration. Dev Biol 212: 255–263. , , , .
- 1988. Cell-associated plasminogen activation: Regulation and physiological functions. Annu Rev Cell Biol 4: 93–126. , .
- 1995. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha subunit deleted Patch mouse exhibits severe cardiovascular dysmorphogenesis. Teratology 51: 351–366. , , , .
- 1986. An anticatalytic monoclonal antibody to avian plasminogen activator. Its effect on behavior of RSV-transformed chick fibroblasts. Cell 45: 905–915. , .
- 1989. Distribution of the neural crest cells in the heart of birds: a three dimensional analysis. Anat Embryol 180: 29–35. , , .
- 1991. Intracellular localization of types I and II collagen mRNA and endoplasmic reticulum in embryonic corneal epithelia. J Cell Sci 100: 23–33. .
- 1979. Morphogenesis of the truncus arteriosus of the chick embryo heart: the formation and migration of mesenchymal tissue. Am J Anat 154: 545–556. , .
- 1985. Production of plasminogen activator by migrating cephalic neural crest cells. EMBO J 4: 1403–1406. , .
- 1999. Myocardialization of the cardiac outflow tract. Dev Biol 212: 477–490. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Membrane proteases in focus. Nature 370: 14–15. , .
- 1973. Origin and differentiation of cardiac muscle cells in mouse. J Ultrastruct Res 42: 1–24. , .
- 1989. Formation of the primitive myo- and endocardial tubes in the chicken embryo. J Mol Cell Cardiol 21: 123–137. , , .
- 1998. MMP-9/gelatinase B is a key regulator of growth plate angiogenesis and apoptosis of hypertrophic chondrocytes. Cell 93: 411–422. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Cardiac neural crest cells provide new insight into septation of the cardiac outflow tract: aortic sac to ventricular septal closure. Dev Biol 196: 129–144. , , , .
- 1996. Cardiac neural crest is essential for the persistence rather than the formation of an arch artery. Dev Dynam 205: 281–292. , , .
- 1999. Connexin 43 expression reflects neural crest patterns during cardiovascular development. Dev Biol 208: 307–323. , , .
- 1998. Extracellular matrix remodeling during morphogenesis. Ann NY Acad Sci 857: 110–118. , .
- 1995. Matrix metalloproteinases are expressed during ductal and alveolar mammary morphogenesis, and misregulation of stromelysin-1 in transgenic mice induces unscheduled alveolar development. Mol Biol Cell 6: 1287–1303. , , .
- 1991. Matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in connective tissue remodeling. FASEB J 5: 2145–2154. .