Medical evaluation for respirator use
Version of Record online: 24 NOV 1999
Copyright © 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Industrial Medicine
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 142–157, January 2000
How to Cite
Szeinuk, J., Beckett, W. S., Clark, N. and Hailoo, W. L. (2000), Medical evaluation for respirator use. Am. J. Ind. Med., 37: 142–157. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0274(200001)37:1<142::AID-AJIM11>3.0.CO;2-K
- Issue online: 24 NOV 1999
- Version of Record online: 24 NOV 1999
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 1999
- New York State Department of Health
- NIEHS Center. Grant Number: P30 ES01247
- 1977. Effects of hypercapnia and inspiratory flow-resistive loading on respiratory activity in chronic airways obstruction. J Clin Invest 59:500–507. , , , .
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH). 1997. Threshold limit values for chemical substances and physical agents and biological exposure indices. Cincinnati, OH: The American Conference of governmental Industrial Hygienists.
- American National Standards Institute, Inc. 1984. American National Standard for respiratory protection-respirator use physical qualifications for personnel (ANSI Z88.6-1984). New York: American National Standards Institutes, Inc.
- American National Standards Institute, Inc. 1992. American National Standard for respiratory protection (ANSI Z88.2–1992). New York: American National Standards Institutes, Inc.
- American Thoracic Society. 1996. Respiratory protection guidelines. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 154:1153–1165.
- 1983. Cardiac output and gas exchange during heavy exercise with a positive pressure respiratory protective apparatus. Scand J Work Environ Health 9:471–477. , , .
- 1975. A successful respirator program. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 36:752–754. .
- 1986. Certifying the worker for respirator use. Sem Occup Med 1:119–124. .
- 1973. Acceptable levels for breathing resistance of respiratory apparatus. Arch Environ Health 27:273–280. , , , , .
- 1962. The physical working capacity in relation to working time and age. Ergonomics 5:25–28. .
- 1979. Respiratory and circulatory responses to sustained positive-pressure breathing and exercise in man. Acta Physiol Scand 105:204–214. , , , .
- 1970. Exhausting work limited by external resistance and inhalation of carbon dioxide. J Appl Physiol 29:847–851. , , .
- 1981. Physiological response to resistance breathing during short and prolonged exercise. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 42:616–623. , , .
- 1990. Thermal discomfort of respiratory protective devices. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 51:550–554. , , .
- 1968. Effects of external airway obstruction on work capacity and pulmonary gas exchange. Am Rev Respir Dis 98:1003–1012. , , , .
- 1984. Medical evaluation for respirator use. J Occup Med 26:496–502. .
- 1989. Effects or respirator dead space, inspiratory resistance and expiratory resistance ventilatory loads. Am J Ind Med 16:189–198. , , , , .
- 1991. Physiologic and subjective effects of respirator mask type. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 52:357–362. , , , .
- 1999. Decision model for optimizing respirator protection. J Occup Environ Med 41:356–365. , , .
- 1972. Respiratory and circulatory response to added air flow resistance during exercise. Ergonomics 15:15–24. , , .
- 1993. The effect of respirator dead space and lung retention on exposure estimates. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 54:711–722. , .
- 1983. Effects of added resistance to breathing during exercise in obstructive lung disease. Am Rev Respir Dis 128:943–948. , , , , .
- 1986. Screening prospective workers for the ability to use respirators. J Occup Med 28:1074–1080. .
- 1986. Effects of industrial respirator wear during exercise in subjects with restrictive lung disease. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 46:176–180. , , .
- 1984. Effects of respirators under heat/work conditions. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 45:399–404. , , .
- 1994. The effects of respirator use on workers' productivity in a mentally stressing task. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 55:418–424. , , , .
- 1980. Physical work capacity of firemen. Scand J Work Environ Health 6:48–57. .
- 1988. Industrial respirators: certifying the worker. Am Fam Phys 37:117–126. .
- 1984. Physiologic effects associated with the use of respiratory protective devices: a review. Scand J Work Environ Health 10:275–281. .
- 1977. Acceptable levels for the breathing resistance of respiratory apparatus: results for men over the age of 45. Br J Ind Med 34:126–129. , , , , .
- 1983. Psychological problems associated with the wearing of industrial respirators: a review. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 44:671–677. .
- 1987. The effect of temperature and humidity levels in a protective mask on user acceptability during exercise. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 48:639–645. , , , .
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. 1987. NIOSH Respirator Decision Logic. US Dept Health Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Division of Standards Development and Technology Transfer (DHHS (NIOSH) Pub No. 87-108).
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. 1991. NIOSH Certified Equipment List. US Dept Health Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (Cincinnati, Ohio). Washington, DC.: US Government Printing Office; 91–105.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. 1984. OSHA Industrial Hygiene Technical Manual. OSHA Instruction CPC 2-2-20A. Washington, DC.: US Government Printing Office.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. 1994. Respiratory protection. 29 CFR 1910.134. Federal Register.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. 1998. Respiratory protection. 29 CFR 1910.134. Federal Register, Vol. 63 No. 5, January 8, 1998. 1270–1298.
- 1999. Respiratory protective devices: rates of medical clearance and causes for work restrictions. Am J Ind Med 35:390–394. , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Maximal stress test performance while wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus. J Occup Med 19:802–806. , , , .
- 1979. The physiological consequences of wearing industrial respirators: a review. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 40:517–534. , , .
- 1981a. The physiological responses of mild pulmonary impaired subjects while using a demand respirator during rest and work. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 42:247–257. , , , , , .
- 1981b. Clinical pulmonary function and industrial respirator wear. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 42:897–903. , , , , .
- 1982. Physiological response to pressure–demand respirator wear. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 43:773–781. , , , , .
- 1984. Medical evaluation for respirator use. J Occup Med 26:495–502. .
- 1996. Respirator use: assessing worker fitness and risk. AAOHN 44:444–446. .
- 1977. Effects of respiratory equipment on endurance in hard work. J Appl Physiol 42:28–32. , .
- 3M Bulletin. 1983. Job Health Highlight; 1:103.
- 1993. Respiratory protection in the mining industry. Occup Med STAR 8:143–154. , .
- US DOL. 1988. Memorandum to Regional Administrators regarding contact lenses used with respirators, 29 CFR 1910.34 (5) (ii), February 1988.
- 1989. Clinical pulmonary function tests as predictors of work performance during respirator wear. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 50:51–57. , .
- 1989a. Effects of pressure–demand respirator wear on physiological and perceptual variables during progressive exercise to maximal levels. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 50:85–94. , , , , , .
- 1989b. Alterations in physiological and perceptual variables during exhaustive endurance work while wearing a pressure–demand respirator. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 50:139–146. , , , , .
- 1994. Visual field loss while wearing full-face respiratory protection. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 55:315–321. , , .