Retinoic acid and neurotrophins collaborate to regulate neurogenesis in adult-derived neural stem cell cultures
Version of Record online: 14 JAN 1999
Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 65–81, January 1999
How to Cite
Takahashi, J., Palmer, T. D. and Gage, F. H. (1999), Retinoic acid and neurotrophins collaborate to regulate neurogenesis in adult-derived neural stem cell cultures. J. Neurobiol., 38: 65–81. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-4695(199901)38:1<65::AID-NEU5>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Issue online: 14 JAN 1999
- Version of Record online: 14 JAN 1999
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUL 1998
- Manuscript Received: 18 NOV 1997
- NIA. Grant Numbers: R01-AG06088, AG08514
- NINDS. Grant Number: NS-6-2348
- American Paralysis Association
- Hollfelder Foundation
- International Spinal Research Trust
- Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture of Japan
- Japan Brain Foundation
- 1995. BDNF enhances the differentiation but not the survival of CNS stem cell–derived neuronal precursors. J Neurosci 15:5765–5778.Medline , , .
- 1990. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor increases survival and differentiated functions of rat septal cholinergic neurons in culture. Neuron 5:297–306.Medline , , , .
- 1994. Pattern formation in the vertebrate neural plate. Trends Neurosci 17:233–243. .
- 1994. From embryonal carcinoma cells to neurons: the P19 pathway. Bioessay 16:343–348.Medline , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of vertebrate neural cell fate by transcription factors. Curr Opin Neurobiol 6:25–32.Medline , .
- 1994. A novel role for thyroid hormone, glucocorticoids and retinoic acid in timing oligodendrocyte development. Development 120:1097–1108.Medline , , .
- 1992. K-252a inhibits nerve growth factor-induced trk proto-oncogene tyrosine phosphorylation and kinase activity. J Biol Chem 267:13–16.Medline , , , .
- 1995. Influence of growth factors on neuronal differentiation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 7:878–884.Medline , .
- 1988. Identification of a second human retinoic acid receptor. Nature 332:850–853.Medline , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Intrinsic and extrinsic factors regulating vertebrate neurogenesis. Curr Opin Neurobiol 5:19–27.Medline .
- 1995. p75 and Trk: a two-receptor system. Trends Neurosci 18:321–326.Medline , .
- 1992. Cellular targets and trophic functions of neurotrophin-3 in the developing rat hippocampus. Neuron 9:643–656.Medline , , .
- 1987. Isolation and characterization of the c-fos (rat) cDNA and analysis of post-translational modification in vitro. Oncogene 2:79–84.Medline , , , .
- 1994. The role of neurotrophins in the developing nervous system. J Neurobiol 25:1334–1348.Medline .
- 1995. Constitutive overexpression of CDK2 inhibits neuronal differentiation of rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells. J Biol Chem 270:23031–23037.Medline , , , , .
- 1993. Physical interaction of the retinoblastoma protein with human D cyclins. Cell 73:499–511.Medline , , , , , .
- 1989. Retinoic acid causes an anteroposterior transformation in the developing central nervous system. Nature 340:140–143.Medline , , , , , , .
- 1993. WAF1, a potential mediator of p53 tumor suppression. Cell 75:817–825.Medline , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Topological control of p21WAF1/CIP1 expression in normal and neoplastic tissues. Cancer Res 55:2910–2919.Medline , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. CRNF, a molluscan neurotrophic factor that interacts with the p75 neurotrophin receptor. Science 274:1540–1543.Medline , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. A CNS-specific POU transcription factor, Brn-2, is required for establishing mammalian neural cell lineage. Neuron 11:1197–1206.Medline , .
- 1995a. Isolation, characterization, and use of stem cells from the CNS. Annu Rev Neurosci 18:159–192.Medline , , .
- 1995b. Survival and differentiation of adult neuronal progenitor cells transplanted to the adult brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92:11879–11883. , , , , , , , , .
- 1971. Distribution of acetylcholinesterase in the hippocampal region of the guinea pig. I. Entorhinal area parasubiculum, and pre-subiculum. Z Zellforsch 114:460–481.Medline , .
- 1995. Distinct roles for bFGF and NT-3 in the regulation of cortical neurogenesis. Neuron 15:89–103.Medline , .
- 1987. Identification of a receptor for the morphogen retinoic acid. Nature 330:624–629.Medline , , , .
- 1995. Early events in neurotrophin signalling via Trk and p75 receptors. Curr Opin Neurobiol 5:579–587.Medline , .
- 1996. Multipotential stem cells from the adult mouse brain proliferate and self-renew in response to basic fibroblast growth factor. J Neurosci 16:1091–1100.Medline , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Patterning the hindbrain. Curr Opin Neurobiol 6:41–48.Medline .
- 1995. Correlation of terminal cell cycle arrest of skeletal muscle with induction of p21 by MyoD. Science 267:1018–1021.Medline , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The p21 Cdk-interacting protein Cip1 is a potent inhibitor of G1 cyclin-dependent kinases. Cell 75:805–816.Medline , , , , .
- 1996. Role of neurotrophic factors in neuronal development. Curr Opin Neurobiol 6:64–70.Medline .
- 1994. Neurotrophin signalling. Curr Opin Neurobiol 4:668–679.Medline .
- 1995. Retinoic acid-mediated increase in TrkA expression is sufficient to elicit NGF-dependent survival of sympathetic neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci 6:185–198. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Retinoic acid stimulates neurite outgrowth in the amphibian spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad USA 88:3666–3670. , , , , .
- 1994. Cyclins and cancer II: cyclin D and Cdk inhibitors come of age. Cell 79:573–582.Medline , .
- 1991. BDNF is a neurotrophic factor for dopaminergic neurons of the substantia nigra. Nature 350:230–232.Medline , , , , , , .
- 1993. Cultured hippocampal neurons show responses to BDNF, NT-3, and NT-4, but not NGF. J Neurosci 13:3394–3405.Medline , , , .
- 1992. Induction and repression of mammalian achaete-scute homologue (MASH) gene expression during neuronal differentiation of P19 embryonal carcinoma cells. Development 114:75–87.Medline , , , .
- 1993. Induction of TrkB by retinoic acid mediates biologic responsiveness to BDNF and differentiation of human neuroblastoma cells. Neuron 11:321–331.Medline , , , .
- 1995. Coexpression of trk family members and low-affinity neurotrophin receptors in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons. Mol Brain Res 30:158–164. , , , .
- 1994. Cyclic AMP-induced G1 phase arrest mediated by an inhibitor (p27Kip1) of cyclin-dependent kinase 4 activation. Cell 79:487–496.Medline , , , , .
- 1995. The regulation of neural precursor cells within the mammalian brain. Mol Cell Neurosci 6:2–15.Medline , , .
- 1995. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor promotes the survival of neurons arising from the adult rat forebrain subependymal zone. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92:210–214. , .
- 1994. Role of neurotrophins in mouse neuronal development. FASEB J 8:738–744.Medline .
- 1991. Promotion of central cholinergic and dopaminergic neuron differentiation by brain-derived neurotrophic factor but not neurotrophin 3. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88:961–965. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Retinoic acid induces BDNF responsiveness of sympathetic neurons by alteration of Trk neurotrophin receptor expression. FEBS Lett 356:60–65.Medline , , .
- 1994. Developmental expression of trkC, the neurotrophin-3 receptor, in the mammalian nervous system. J Neurosci 14:14–28.Medline , , .
- 1995. Conversion of xenopus ectoderm into neurons by neuroD, a basic helix–loop–helix protein. Science 268:836–844.Medline , , , , , .
- 1986. Tyroid hormone effects on growth and development. In: HennemannG, editor. Thyroid hormone metabolism. New York: Marcel Dekker. p 503–534. .
- 1996. Identification of neurogenin, a vertebrate neuronal determination gene. Cell 87:43–52.Medline , , .
- 1990. Retinoid-binding protein distribution in the developing mammalian nervous system. Development 109:75–80.Medline , , .
- 1989. Cellular retinoic acid-binding protein and the role of retinoic acid in the development of the chick embryo. Dev Biol 135:124–132.Medline , , , , .
- 1992. Steroid hormones: effect on brain development and function. Horm Res 37(Suppl 3): 1–10. .
- 1994. Expression and coexpression of trk receptors in subpopulations of adult primary sensory neurons projecting to identified peripheral targets. Neuron 12:1161–1171.Medline , , , .
- 1992. The rat trk protooncogene product exhibits properties characteristic of the slow nerve growth factor receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:2374–2378. , , , , .
- 1992. Molecular cloning of rat trkC and distribution of cells expressing messenger RNAs for members of the trk family in the rat central nervous system. Neuroscience 51:513–532.Medline , , , .
- 1991. trkB, a neural receptor protein-tyrosine kinase: evidence for a full-length and two truncated receptors. Mol Cell Biol 11:143–153.Medline , , .
- 1990. Retinoic acid induces down-regulation of several growth factors and proto-oncogenes in a human embryonal cancer cell line. Oncogene 5:511–517.Medline , , , , .
- 1994. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor promotes differentiation of striatal GABAergic neurons. Dev Biol 165:243–256.Medline , , .
- 1992. K-252a and staurosporine selectively block autophosphorylation of neurotrophin receptors and neurotrophin-mediated responses. Mol Biol Cell 3:677–686.Medline , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A novel octamer binding transcription factor is differentially expressed in mouse embryonic cells. Cell 60:461–472.Medline , , , , , .
- 1995. FGF-2-responsive neuronal progenitors reside in proliferative and quiescent regions of the adult rodent brain. Mol Cell Neurosci 6:474–486.Medline , , .
- 1997. The adult rat hippocampus contains primordial neural stem cells. Mol Cell Neurosci 8:389–404.Medline , , .
- 1989. Spatial and temporal expression of the cellular retinoic acid binding protein and the cellular retinol-binding protein during mouse embryogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86:8813–8817. , , , .
- 1994. Joining the complex: cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitory proteins and the cell cycle. Cell 79:181–184.Medline , .
- 1994. Cloning of p27Kip1, a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor and a potential mediator of extracellular antimitogenic signals. Cell 78:59–66.Medline , , , , , , .
- 1995. Developmental regulation of MAP2 variants during neuronal differentiation in vitro. Dev Brain Res 89:187–201. , .
- 1987. Gene transfer and molecular cloning of the rat nerve growth factor receptor. Nature 325:593–597.Medline , , , , .
- 1993. Proliferation, differentiation and long-term culture of primary hippocampal neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90:3602–3606. , , , .
- 1992. A multipotent EGF-responsive striatal embryonic progenitor cell produces neurons and astrocytes. J Neurosci 12:4565–4574.Medline , , .
- 1992. Generation of neurons and astrocytes from isolated cells of the adult mammalian central nervous system. Science 255:1707–1710.Medline , .
- 1991. Retinoic acid induces NGF-dependent survival response and high-affinity NGF receptors in immature chick sympathetic neurons. Development 112:813–820.Medline , .
- 1996. Cell division and the nervous system: regulating the cycle from neural differentiation to death. Trends Neurosci 19:62–68.Medline .
- 1993. Cell cycle analysis of p53-induced cell death in murine erythroleukemia cells. Mol Cell Biol 13:711–719.Medline , , , .
- 1992. Retinoic acid regulates both expression of the nerve growth factor receptor and sensitivity to nerve growth factor. J Biol Chem 267:17611–17616. , .
- 1990. The regulation and function of c-fos and other immediate early genes in the nervous system. Neuron 4:477–485.Medline , .
- 1994. G1 phase progression: cycling on cue. Cell 79:551–555.Medline .
- 1993. Hybrid cell extinction and re-expression of Oct-3 function correlated with differentiation potential. EMBO J 12:4489–4498.Medline , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Identification of a retinoic acid-sensitive period during primary axis formation in Xenopus laevis. Genes Dev 4:932–942.Medline , , , .
- 1994. Functions of the neurotrophins during nervous system development: what the knockouts are teaching us. Cell 77:627–638.Medline .
- 1995. Retinoic acid and retinoic acid receptors in development. Mol Neurobiol 10:169–184.Medline , .
- 1992. Chronological expression of microtubule-associated proteins (MAPs) in EC cell P19 after neuronal induction by retinoic acid. Brain Res 596:269–278.Medline , , , .
- 1988. Nucleotide sequence of cloned cDNA specific for rat ribosomal protein L27. Eur J Biochem 173:53–56.Medline , , , .
- 1992. K252a is a selective inhibitor of the tyrosine protein kinase activity of the trk family of oncogenes and neurotrophin receptors. Oncogene 7:371–381.Medline , , .
- 1993. trkC, a receptor for neurotrophin-3, is widely expressed in the developing nervous system and in non-neuronal tissues. Development 118:463–475.Medline , , , , , , .
- 1985. Decreased expression of N-myc precedes retinoic acid-induced morphological differentiation of human neuroblastoma. Nature 313:404–406.Medline , , .
- 1990. The role of microtubule-associated proteins in brain morphogenesis: a review. Brain Res Rev 15:101–120.Medline .
- 1994. Brn-3.2: a Brn-3-related transcription factor with distinctive central nervous system expression and regulation by retinoic acid.. Neuron 12:205–218.Medline , , .
- 1995. Functions of basic fibroblast growth factor and neurotrophins in the differentiation of hippocampal neurons. Neuron 15:105–114.Medline , , , , .
- 1990. Polarizing activity and retinoid synthesis in the floor plate of the neural tube. Nature 345:819–822.Medline , , , .
- 1996. Is there a neural stem cell in the mammalian forebrain? Trends Neurosci 19:387–393.Medline , , , , , .
- 1993. The neurotrophins BDNF, NT-3 and NT-4/5, but not NGF, up-regulate the cholinergic phenotype of developing motor neurons. Eur J Neurosci 5:466–474. , , , .
- 1990. The primary structure of rat ribosomal proteins: the amino acid sequences of L27a and L28 and corrections in the sequences of S4 and S12. Biochem Biophys Acta 1050:69–73. , , , .
- 1995. Neurotrophin receptor mRNA expression defines distinct populations of neurons in rat dorsal root ganglia. J Comp Neurol 351:329–338.Medline , .
- 1995. NGF regulates the PC12 cell cycle machinery through specific inhibition of the cdk kinases and inhibition of cyclin D1. J Neurosci 15:6200–6212.Medline , .
- 1994. The onset of neurotrophin and trk mRNA expression in early embryonic tissue of the quail. DevBiol 165:727–730. , , .