Nerve growth factor–induced growth of sympathetic axons into the optic tract of mature mice is enhanced by an absence of p75NTR expression
Article first published online: 17 MAR 1999
Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 51–66, April 1999
How to Cite
Hannila, S. S. and Kawaja, M. D. (1999), Nerve growth factor–induced growth of sympathetic axons into the optic tract of mature mice is enhanced by an absence of p75NTR expression. J. Neurobiol., 39: 51–66. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-4695(199904)39:1<51::AID-NEU5>3.0.CO;2-T
- Issue published online: 17 MAR 1999
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 1999
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 NOV 1998
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUL 1998
- Advisory Research Committee of Queen's University
- 1995. Overexpression of the neural growth-associated protein GAP-43 induces nerve sprouting in the adult nervous system of transgenic mice. Cell 83:269–278. Medline , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Absence of persistent spreading, branching, and adhesion in GAP-43–depleted growth cones. J Cell Biol 128:647–660. Medline , .
- 1995. Astrocytes from adult rat optic nerves are nonpermissive for regenerating retinal ganglion cell axons. Exp Neurol 131:211–220. Medline , , .
- 1994. Disruption of NGF binding to the low affinity neurotrophin receptor p75LNTR reduces NGF binding to TrkA on PC12 cells. Neuron 13:203–215. Medline , .
- 1997. Increased number of unmyelinated axons in optic nerves of adult mice deficient in the myelin-associated glycoprotein (MAG). Brain Res 762:231–234. Medline , , , .
- 1989. Immunohistological localization of the adhesion molecules L1, NCAM, and MAG in the developing and adult optic nerve of mice. J Comp Neurol 284:451–462. Medline , , .
- 1993. HSV-1 vector-mediated gene transfer of the human nerve growth factor receptor p75hNGFR defines high-affinity NGF binding. J Neurosci 13:941–951. Medline , , .
- 1993. Differential expression of nerve growth factor receptors leads to altered binding affinity and neurotrophin responsiveness. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90:7859–7863. Medline , , .
- 1991. The low-affinity p75 growth factor (NGF) receptor mediates NGF-induced tyrosine phosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88:7106–7110. Medline , , , .
- 1997. Induction of apoptosis by p75 neurotrophin receptor in human neuroblastoma cells. Oncogene 14:1463–1470. Medline , , , , .
- 1987. Local control of neurite sprouting in cultured sympathetic neurons by nerve growth factor. Brain Res 465:293–301. Medline .
- 1994. NGF and the local control of nerve terminal growth. J Neurobiol 25:599–611. Medline .
- 1996. Death of oligodendrocytes mediated by the interaction of nerve growth factor with its receptor p75. Nature 383:716–719. Medline , , , .
- 1996. Sprouting adult CNS cholinergic axons express Nile and associate with astrocytic surfaces expressing neural cell adhesion molecule. J Comp Neurol 371:287–299. Medline , , .
- 1998. Sympathetic and sensory axons invade the brains of nerve growth factor transgenic mice in the absence of p75NTR expression. Exp Neurol 148:284–294. , , .
- 1979. Sprouting of sympathetic nerves in the absence of afferent input. Exp Neurol 66:778–783. Medline , , .
- 1981. Sympathetic noradrenergic sprouting in response to central cholinergic denervation: a histochemical study of neuronal sprouting in the rat hippocampal formation. Brain Res 210:115–128. Medline , , .
- 1985. Evidence for sprouting specificity following medial septal lesions in the rat. J Comp Neurol 237:116–126. Medline , .
- 1988. Nonregenerative axonal growth within the mature mammalian brain: ultrastructural identification of sympathohippocampal sprouts. J Neurosci 8:2289–2302. Medline , .
- 1994. Activation of the sphingomyelin cycle through the low-affinity neurotrophin receptor. Science 265:1596–1599. Medline , , , , .
- 1992. Function and evolution in the NGF family and its receptors. J Neurosci Res 32:461–470. Medline .
- 1989. Directed expression of NGF to pancreatic β cells in transgenic mice leads to selective hyperinnervation of the islets. Cell 58:161–170. Medline , , .
- 1986. Neurite outgrowth patterns in cerebellar microexplant cultures are affected by antibodies to the cell surface glycoprotein L1. J Neurosci 6:605–612. Medline , , .
- 1992. Myelin acquisition in the central nervous system of the mouse revealed by an MBP-Lac Z transgene. J Neurosci 12:4890–4897. Medline , .
- 1986. A single Mr ∼ 103,000 125I-β-nerve growth factor–affinity-labeled species represents both the low and high affinity forms of the nerve growth factor receptor. J Biol Chem 261:15316–15326. Medline , .
- 1990. Astrocyte topography and tenascin/cytotactin expression: correlation with the ability to support neuritic outgrowth. Dev Brain Res 55:11–19. Medline , , , .
- 1996. A quantitative analysis of rat central nervous system myelination using the immunohistochemical method for MBP. Brain Res 93:18–22. , , , .
- 1994. The low affinity NGF receptor, p75, can collaborate with each of the trks to potentiate functional responses to the neurotrophins. Neuron 13:187–201. Medline , , , , .
- 1991. High-affinity NGF binding requires coexpression of the trk proto-oncogene and the low-affinity NGF receptor. Nature 350:678–683. Medline , , , , .
- 1992. Disruption of the low affinity receptor-binding site in NGF allows neuronal survival and differentiation by binding to the trk gene product. Cell 69:329–341. Medline , , , , , .
- 1992. Nerve growth factor mediates signal transduction through trk homodimer receptors. Neuron 9:1067–1079. Medline , , .
- 1994. p75 Nerve growth factor receptor modulates p140trkA kinase activity, but not ligand internalization, in PC12 cells. J Neurosci Res 38:599–606. Medline , , , .
- 1991a. The trk proto-oncogene product: a signal transducing receptor for nerve growth factor. Science 252:554–558. Medline , , , , .
- 1991b. Tyrosine phosphorylation and tyrosine kinase activity of the trk proto-oncogene product induced by NGF. Nature 350:158–160. Medline , , .
- 1997. Sympathetic axons invade the brains of mice overexpressing nerve growth factor. J Comp Neurol 383:60–72. Medline , .
- 1991. Reactive astrocytes are substrates for the growth of adult CNS axons in the presence of elevated levels of nerve growth factor. Neuron 7:1019–1030. Medline , .
- 1997. Sensory nociceptive axons invade the cerebellum of transgenic mice overexpressing nerve growth factor. Brain Res 774:77–86. Medline , , , .
- 1994. Role of neurotrophins in mouse neuronal development. FASEB J 8:738–744. Medline .
- 1991. The trk proto-oncogene encodes a receptor for nerve growth factor. Cell 65:189–197. Medline , , , , .
- 1986. Cholinergic denervation of the rat hippocampus by fimbrial transection leads to a transient accumulation of nerve growth factors (NGF) without change in mRNANGF content. Neurosci Lett 66:175–180. Medline , , , .
- 1993. The neurotrophic factor concept: a reexamination. J Neurosci 13:2739–2748. Medline .
- 1992. Targeted mutation of the gene encoding the low affinity NGF receptor p75 leads to deficits in the peripheral sensory nervous system. Cell 69:737–749. Medline , , , , , , .
- 1976. The nerve growth factor: its role in growth, differentiation and function of the sympathetic adrenergic neuron. Prog Brain Res 45:235–258. Medline .
- 1960. Excessive growth of the sympathetic ganglia evoked by a protein isolated from mouse salivary glands. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 46:373–384. , .
- 1951. Selective growth-stimulating effects of mouse sarcoma on the sensory and sympathetic nervous system of the chick embryo. J Exp Zool 116:321–361. , .
- 1953. A diffusible agent of mouse sarcoma, producing hyperplasia of sympathetic ganglia and hyperneurotization of viscera in the chick embryo. J Exp Zool 123:233–287. , .
- 1991. The trk proto-oncogene rescues NGF responsiveness in mutant NGF-nonresponsive PC12 cell lines. Cell 66:961–966. Medline , , , , , .
- 1993. Transfection with trk restores “slow” NGF binding, efficient NGF uptake, and multiple NGF responses to NGF-nonresponsive PC12 cell mutants. J Neurosci 13:2919–2929. Medline , .
- 1980. Sprouting of sympathetic axons in the hippocampal formation: conditions necessary to elicit ingrowth. Exp Neurol 67:399–411. Medline , , .
- 1994. High affinity nerve growth factor binding displays a faster rate of association than p140trk binding: implications for multi-subunit polypeptide receptors. J Biol Chem 269:6884–6891. Medline , , , .
- 1988. Immunoelectron microscopic localization of neural cell adhesion molecules (L1, N-CAM, and myelin-associated glycoprotein) in regenerating adult mouse sciatic nerve. J Cell Biol 106:1735–1746. Medline , .
- 1988. Light-microscopic immunolocalization of the growth- and plasticity-associated protein GAP-43 in the developing rat brain. Brain Res 469:277–291. Medline , , .
- 1991. Reduction of neurite outgrowth in a model of glial scarring following CNS injury is correlated with the expression of inhibitory molecules on reactive astrocytes. J Neurosci 11:3398–3411. Medline , , , .
- 1992. The nerve growth factor family of receptors. Trends Neurosci 15:323–331. Medline , .
- 1978. Sympathetic nerve fiber ingrowth in the central nervous system of neonatal rodents upon intracerebral NGF injections. Arch Ital Biol 116:53–84. Medline , , .
- 1991. Regulation of nerve growth factor receptor gene expression by nerve growth factor in the developing peripheral nervous system. J Cell Biol 112:303–312. Medline , , .
- 1995. Deletion of a conserved juxtamembrane sequence in Trk abolishes NGF-promoted neuritogenesis. Neuron 15:395–406. Medline , , , .
- 1993. Induction of apoptosis by the low-affinity NGF receptor. Science 261:345–348. Medline , , , , , , .
- 1990. Binding of brain-derived neurotrophic factor to the nerve growth factor receptor. Neuron 4:487–492. , , .
- 1990. Inhibition of neurite outgrowth on astroglial scars in vitro. J Neurosci 10:3594–3603. Medline , .
- 1997. Differential modulation of neuron survival during development by nerve growth factor binding to the p75 neurotrophin receptor. J Biol Chem 272:16322–16328. Medline , , .
- 1990. Myelin-associated inhibitors of neurite growth and regeneration in the CNS. Trends Neurosci 13:452–456. Medline .
- 1996. Molecules inhibiting neurite growth: a minireview. Neurochem Res 21:755–761. Medline .
- 1997. Expression of two neuronal markers, growth-associated protein 43 and neuron-specific enolase, in rat glial cells. J Mol Med 75:653–663. Medline , , .
- 1986. A protein induced during nerve growth (GAP-43) is a major component of growth-cone membranes. Science 233:783–786. Medline , , , , , .
- 1978. Growth of vascular sympathetic axons into the hippocampus after lesions of the septo-hippocampal pathway: a pitfall in brain lesion studies. Neurosci Lett 7:219–224. , .
- 1995. TGF-betas and cAMP regulate GAP-43 expression in Schwann cells and reveal the association of this protein with the trans-Golgi network. Eur J Neurosci 7:1761–1772. Medline , , , .
- 1992. Schwann cells, neurons and GAP-43. Perspect Dev Neurobiol 1:45–52. Medline , , , .
- 1994. Fibroblasts genetically modified to produce nerve growth factor induce robust neuritic ingrowth after grafting to the spinal cord. Exp Neurol 126:1–14. Medline , , , , , .
- 1994. Neurotrophins regulate sequential changes in neurotrophin receptor expression by sympathetic neuroblasts. Neuron 13:1359–1372. Medline , .
- 1990. Correlation between GAP-43 and NGF receptors in rat sensory neurons. J Neurosci 10:926–943. Medline , , , .
- 1998. Sympathetic axons surround nerve growth factor–immunoreactive trigeminal neurons: Observations in mice overexpressing nerve growth factor. J Neurobiol 34:347–360. Medline , .
- 1998. p75-deficient sensory axons are immunoreactive for the glycoprotein L1 in mice overexpressing nerve growth factor. Brain Res 798:184–194. Medline , , .
- 1991. Evidence that biological activity of NGF is mediated through a novel subclass of high affinity receptors. Neuron 6:649–663. Medline , .
- 1987. Increased beta-nerve growth factor messenger RNA and protein levels in neonatal rat hippocampus following specific cholinergic lesions. J Neurosci 7:244–251. Medline , , , , , .
- 1990. Expression of the NGF receptor gene in sensory neurons and their cutaneous targets prior to and during innervation. Neuron 4:421–427. Medline , , .
- 1990. Transfection of PC12 cells with the human GAP-43 gene: effects on neurite outgrowth and regeneration. Mol Brain Res 7:39–44. Medline , , , .
- 1996. Expression of L1 in primary astrocytes via a defective herpes simplex virus vector promotes neurite outgrowth and neural cell migration. Mol Brain Res 43:311–320. Medline , , .
- 1998. Competitive signaling between TrkA and p75 nerve growth factor receptors determines cell survival. J Neurosci 18:3273–3281. Medline , , , .
- 1989. The neuronal growth-associated protein GAP-43 induces filopodia in non-neuronal cells. Science 244:1193–1195. Medline , , , .