Subthreshold binge eating disorder
Article first published online: 29 FEB 2000
Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
International Journal of Eating Disorders
Volume 27, Issue 3, pages 270–278, April 2000
How to Cite
Striegel-Moore, R. H., Dohm, F. A., Solomon, E. E., Fairburn, C. G., Pike, K. M. and Wilfley, D. E. (2000), Subthreshold binge eating disorder. Int. J. Eat. Disord., 27: 270–278. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1098-108X(200004)27:3<270::AID-EAT3>3.0.CO;2-1
- Issue published online: 29 FEB 2000
- Article first published online: 29 FEB 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 APR 1999
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). Grant Number: 1R01MH52348-01A1
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Office for Research on Women's Health (NIH)
- Principal Fellowship from the Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: 046386
- Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Grant Number: 84R-2459-HPE
- Center's Foundations Fund for Research in Psychiatry
- binge eating disorder;
- Eating Disorder Examination;
- psychiatric distress
To examine the clinical features of subthreshold binge eating disorder (BED).
Participants were recruited directly from the community as part of an ongoing study of risk factors for BED. Forty-four women with subthreshold BED were compared with 44 women with BED and 44 healthy controls on demographic characteristics, body mass index (BMI), eating disorder symptomatology, and psychiatric distress. Diagnoses were established using the Eating Disorder Examination (EDE). Participants completed the EDE-Questionnaire, the Brief Symptom Inventory, and were measured and weighed.
Adjusting for significant group differences in BMI, the two eating disorder groups did not differ significantly on measures of weight and shape concern, restraint, psychiatric distress, and history of seeking treatment for an eating or weight problem.
Given the importance of diagnostic status for access to treatment, further evaluation of the severity criterion specified for BED is needed. © 2000 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Int J Eat Disord 27: 270–278, 2000.