Reduction in fat intake is not associated with weight loss in most women after breast cancer diagnosis
Evidence from a randomized controlled trial †
Version of Record online: 4 JAN 2001
Copyright © 2001 American Cancer Society
Volume 91, Issue 1, pages 25–34, 1 January 2001
How to Cite
Rock, C. L., Thomson, C., Caan, B. J., Flatt, S. W., Newman, V., Ritenbaugh, C., Marshall, J. R., Hollenbach, K. A., Stefanick, M. L. and Pierce, J. P. (2001), Reduction in fat intake is not associated with weight loss in most women after breast cancer diagnosis. Cancer, 91: 25–34. doi: 10.1002/1097-0142(20010101)91:1<25::AID-CNCR4>3.0.CO;2-G
Other authors and researchers for the Women”s Healthy Eating and Living (WHEL) Study Group: WHEL Study Coordinating Center: University of California at San Diego, Cancer Prevention and Control Program, La Jolla, CA: John P. Pierce, Ph.D. (Principal Investigator); Cheryl L. Rock, Ph.D., R.D.; Vicky E. Jones, M.D.; Susan Faerber, B.A.; Vicky Newman, M.S., R.D.; Shirley W. Flatt, M.S.; Sheila Kealey, M.P.H.; Elizabeth Gilpin, M.S., Linda Wasserman, M.D., Ph.D. WHEL Study Clinical Sites: Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, CA: Bette J. Caan, Dr.P.H.; Lou Ferenbacher, M.D.; Northern California Cancer Center, Union City, CA: Marcia L. Stefanick, Ph.D.; Robert Carlson, M.D.; University of Arizona, Tucson & Phoenix, AZ: James R. Marshall, Ph.D.; Cynthia Thomson, Ph.D., R.D.; James Warnecke, M.D.; University of California at Davis, Davis, CA: Mary N. Haan, Dr.P.H.; Sidney Scudder, M.D.; University of California at San Diego, Cancer Center, La Jolla, CA: Vicky E. Jones, M.D.; Kathryn A. Hollenbach, Ph.D.; University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX: Lovell A. Jones, Ph.D.; Richard Theriault, D.O.; Center for Health Research Portland, Portland, OR: Cheryl Ritenbaugh, Ph.D., Mark Rarick, M.D.
- Issue online: 4 JAN 2001
- Version of Record online: 4 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 28 AUG 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 AUG 2000
- Manuscript Received: 6 APR 2000
- Walton Family Foundation
- NCI. Grant Number: CA69375
- General Clinical Research Center
- NIH. Grant Numbers: M01-RR00070, M01-RR00827
- 8Obesity as an adverse prognostic factor for patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. Ann Intern Med 1993; 119: 18–25., , , , .
- 25FlemingID, CooperJS, HensonDE, HutterRVP, KennedyBJ, MurphyGP, et al, editors. American Joint Committee on Cancer Staging Manual. 5th ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1997.
- 27Nutrition assessment. Gaithersburg: Aspen Publishers, 1995., , .
- 29Self-efficacy: the exercise of self-control. New York: WH Freeman, 1997..
- 30U.S. Department of Agriculture Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. The food guide pyramid. Home and garden bulletin no. 252. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1996.
- 42Energy and macronutrient intakes of persons ages 2 months and over in the United States: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Phase 1, 1988–91. Adv Data 1994; 255: 1–24., , , , , , et al.