CD44 expression in the developing and growing rat intervertebral disc
Article first published online: 21 SEP 2000
Copyright © 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 219, Issue 3, pages 381–390, November 2000
How to Cite
Stevens, J. W., Kurriger, G. L., Carter, A. S. and Maynard, J. A. (2000), CD44 expression in the developing and growing rat intervertebral disc. Dev. Dyn., 219: 381–390. doi: 10.1002/1097-0177(2000)9999:9999<::AID-DVDY1060>3.0.CO;2-P
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2000
- Article first published online: 21 SEP 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUL 2000
- Manuscript Received: 15 JUN 2000
- Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust Fund of The University of Iowa
- 1996. The protein fold of the hyaluronan-binding proteoglycan tandem repeat domain of link protein, aggrecan and CD44 is similar to that of the C-lectin superfamily. FEBS Lett 388: 211–216. , .
- 1992. Expression of four protein kinase C isoforms in rat fibroblasts. Distinct subcellular distribution and regulation by calcium and phorbol esters. J Biol Chem 267: 2892–12899. , , , .
- 1993. Hyaluronic acid induced lymphocyte signal transduction and HA receptor (GP85/CD44)-cytoskeleton interaction. J Immunol 151: 6634–6644. , , , .
- 1980. Characterization of fragments produced by clostripain digestion of proteoglycans from the Swarm rat chondrosarcoma. Arch Biochem Biophys 204: 220–233. , , , , .
- 1991. Variations in the cytoskeleton interaction and posttranslational modification of the CD44 homing receptor in macrophages. J Cell Biol 115: 1283–1292. , , .
- 1995. Identification of heterogeneous cell populations in normal human intervertebral disc. J Anat 186: 43–53. , , , .
- 1997. Metabolism of extracellular matrix formed by intervertebral disc cells cultured in alginate. Spine 22: 2885–2893. , , , .
- 1998. An essential role for the interaction between hyaluronan and hyaluronan binding proteins during joint development. J Histochem Cytochem 46: 641–651. , , .
- 1994. The formation of human synovial joint cavities: a possible role for hylauronan and CD44 in altered interzone cohesion. J Anat 185: 355–367. , , et al.
- 1989. Assignment of the human lymphocyte homing receptor gene to the short arm of chromosome 11. Immunogenetics 29: 405–407. , , .
- 1991. A new variant of glycoprotein CD44 confers metastatic potential to rat carcinoma cells. Cell 65: 13–24. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. CD44: a multitude of isoforms with diverse functions. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 184: 47–63. .
- 1988. Disc structure and function. In: GoshP, editor. The Biology of the Intervertebral Disc, vol. 1. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press. p 1–37. .
- 1994. The role of the cytoplasmic domain in regulating CD44 function. J Cell Sci 107: 2353–2359. .
- 1994. The occurrence of versican in the human intervertebral disc. Trans Orthop Res Soc 23: 132. , , .
- 1997. Selective suppression of CD44 in keratinocytes of mice bearing an antisense CD44 transgene driven by a tissue-specific promoter disrupts hyaluronate metabolism in the skin and impairs keratinocyte proliferation. Genes Dev 11: 996–1007. , , , , .
- 1997. The importance of cellular environment to function of the CD44 matrix receptor. Curr Opin Cell Biol 9: 635–642. , , , .
- 1993. Hyaluronan-binding proteins in development, tissue homeostasis, and disease. FASEB J 7: 1233–1241. , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 1990. Use of keratin antibodies in tumor diagnosis. Semin Cancer Biol 1: 165–179. , .
- 1992. Requirements for hyaluronic acid binding by CD44: a role for the cytoplasmic domain and activation by antibody. J Exp Med 75: 257–266. , , , , , .
- 1991. Post-translational protein modification and expression of ankyrin-binding site(s) in GP85 (Pgp-1/CD44) and its biosynthetic precursors during T-lymphoma membrane biosynthesis. J Biol Chem 266: 17983–17989. , .
- 1994. Ankyrin-binding domain of CD44(GP85) is required for the expression of hyaluronic acid-mediated adhesion function. J Cell Biol 126: 1099–1109. , , .
- 1992. Initial characterization of the metabolism of intervertebral disc cells encapsulated in microspheres. J Orthop Res 10: 677–690. , .
- 1988. Proteoglycans of the intervertebral disc. In: GoshP, editor. The Biology of the Intervertebral Disc, vol. 1. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press. p 151–169. .
- 1981. The catalog of human cytokeratins: patterns of expression in normal epithelia, tumors and cultured cells. Cell 31: 11–12. , , , , , .
- 1995. Localization of CD44, the hyaluronate receptor, on the plasma membrane of osteocytes and osteoblasts in rat tibiae. Cell Tissue Res 280: 225–233. , , , .
- 1995. CD44 exhibits a cell type dependent interaction with Triton ×-100 insoluble, lipid rich, plasma membrane domains. J Cell Sci 108: 3127–3135. , , , , .
- 1992. The extracellular processing and catabolism of hyaluronan in cultured adult articular cartilage explants. Arch Biochem Biophys 298: 70–79. , , , .
- 1996. Spatial distribution of CD44 and hyaluronan in the proximal tibia of the growing rat. J Orthop Res 14: 573–581. , , , , , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal expression of CD44 isoforms in the developing and growing joints of the rat limb. J Orthop Res 16: 100–103. , , , , , .
- 1987. Characterization and cloning of fasciclin III: a glycoprotein expressed on a subset of neurons and axon pathways in Drosophila. Cell 48: 975–988. , , .
- 1952. Observations on the postnatal structure of the intervertebral disc in man. J Anat, Lond 86: 162–179. .
- 1995. The development of fibrocartilage in the rat intervertebral disc. Anat Embryol 192: 53–62. , , .
- 1989. Molecular Cloning, A Laboratory Manual, 2nd edition. Long Island, New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 6.3–6.19. , , .
- 1994. In situ expression of collagen and proteoglycan genes in notochord and during skeletal development and growth. Microsc Res Tech 28: 470–482. .
- 1992. Genomic structure of DNA encoding the lymphocyte homing receptor CD44 reveals at least 12 alternatively spliced exons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 12160–12164. , , , , , .
- 1993. The identification of a new alternative exon with highly restricted tissue expression in transcripts encoding the mouse Pgp-1 (CD44) homing receptor. J Biol Chem 268: 12235–12238. , , , .
- 1992. Structural analysis of the linkage region oligosaccharides and unsaturated disaccharides from chondroitin sulfate using CarboPac PA1. J Biol Chem 267: 6548–6555. , , .
- 1951. Experimental incision of the intervertebral disc. J Bone Joint Surg 33B: 612–625. , .
- 1969. A-low viscosity embedding medium for electron microscopy. J Ultrastruct Res 26: 31. .
- 1989. A lymphocyte molecule implicated in lymph node homing is a member of the cartilage link protein family. Cell 56: 1057–1062. , , , .
- 1990. Hyaluronan and its binding proteins, the hyaladherins. Curr Opin Cell Biol 2: 839–844. .
- 1997. Hyaluronan in morphogenesis. J Intern Med 242: 35–40. .
- 1979. Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 4350–4354. , , .
- 1998. Ultrastructural analysis of human epidermal CD44 reveals preferential distribution on plasma membrane domains facing the hyaluronan-rich matrix pouches. J Histochem Cytochem 46: 241–248. , , , \ , .
- 1953. The development and growth of the intervertebral disc. Edinburgh Med J 60: 341–363. .
- 1997. Hyaluronan synthases. J Biol Chem 272: 13997–14000. , , .
- 1993. Restricted expression of the hyaluronan receptor, CD44, during postimplantation mouse embryogenesis suggests key roles in tissue formation and patterning. Development 119: 295–306. , , .
- 1908. The later development of the notochord in mammals. Am J Anat 8: 251–284. .
- 1993. Expression of CD44 isoforms carrying metastasis-associated sequences in newborn and adult rats. Eur J Cancer 29A: 1172–1177. , , , et al.
- 1991. High pressure liquid chromatographic identification of hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulphate disaccharides. Glycobiology 1: 271–276. , , .