Associations of FGF-3 and FGF-10 with signaling networks regulating tooth morphogenesis
Version of Record online: 21 SEP 2000
Copyright © 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 219, Issue 3, pages 322–332, November 2000
How to Cite
Kettunen, P., Laurikkala, J., Itäranta, P., Vainio, S., Itoh, N. and Thesleff, I. (2000), Associations of FGF-3 and FGF-10 with signaling networks regulating tooth morphogenesis. Dev. Dyn., 219: 322–332. doi: 10.1002/1097-0177(2000)9999:9999<::AID-DVDY1062>3.0.CO;2-J
- Issue online: 30 OCT 2000
- Version of Record online: 21 SEP 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUN 2000
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 1999
- 1998. FGFs and BMP4 induce both Msx1-independent and Msx1-dependent signaling pathways in early tooth development. Development 125: 4325–4333. , .
- 1997. Fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) and branching morphogenesis in the embryonic mouse lung. Development 124: 4867–4878. , , , , .
- 1995. Hedgehog and Bmp genes are coexpressed at many diverse sites of cell-cell interaction in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 172: 126–138. , .
- 1998. Soluble dominant-negative receptor uncovers essential roles for fibroblast growth factors in multi-organ induction and patterning. EMBO J 17: 1642–1655. , , , , .
- 1996. Msx-1 controls inductive signaling in mammalian tooth morphogenesis. Development 122: 3035–3044. , , , , .
- 1995. Fibroblast growth factors induce additional limb development from the flank of chick embryos. Cell 80: 730–746. , , , , .
- 1996. Midbrain development induced by FGF8 in the chick embryo. Nature 380: 66–68. , , .
- 1996. Roles for FGF8 in the induction, initiation, and maintenance of chick limb development. Cell 84: 127–136. , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the initial morphogenesis of the mammalian tooth. Dev Biol 202: 215–227. , .
- 2000. The IIIb isoform of fibroblast growth factor receptor-2 has a major role in mesenchymal-epithelial signalling during mouse organogenesis. Development 127: 483–492. , , , , , .
- 1998. Integrated FGF and BMP signaling controls the progression of progenitor cell differentiation and the emergence of pattern in the embryonic anterior pituitary. Development 125: 1005–1015. , , , .
- 1998. Activin is an essential early mesenchymal signal in tooth development that is required for patterning of the murine dentition. Genes Dev 12: 2636–2649. , , , , , .
- 1995. Pattern of keratinocyte growth factor and keratinocyte growth factor receptor expression during mouse fetal development suggests a role in mediating morphogenetic mesenchymal-epithelial interactions. Dev Dyn 203: 223–240. , , , , .
- 1990. Expression of multiple novel Wnt-1/int-1-related genes during fetal and adult mouse development. Genes Dev 4: 2319–2332. , , .
- 1996. Keratinocyte growth factor is required for hair development but not for wound healing. Genes Dev 10: 165–175. , , .
- 1999. Molecular mechanisms for stem cell lineage in dental epithelium. J Cell Biol 147: 105–120. , , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular analysis of external genitalia formation: the role of fibroblast growth factor (Fgf) genes during genital tubercle formation. Development 127: 2471–2479. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The Shh signalling pathway in tooth development: defects in Gli2 and Gli3 mutants. Development 125: 2803–2811. , , , .
- 1994. FGF5 as a regulator of the hair growth cycle: evidence from targeted and and spontaneous mutations. Cell 78: 1017–1025. , , , .
- 1995. Expression of a delta homologue in prospective neurons in the chick. Nature 375: 787–790. , , , , , .
- 1999. Morphogenesis. Cell 96: 225–233. .
- 1998. Structure and expression of a novel fibroblast growth factor, FGF-17, preferentially expressed in the embryonic brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 244: 187–191. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Characterization of recombinant human fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-10 reveals functional similarities with keratinocyte growth factor (FGF-7). J Biol Chem 273: 13230–13235. , , .
- 1994. Evidence for the role of the enamel knot as a control center in mammalian tooth cusp formation: non-dividing cells express growth stimulating FGF4 gene. Int J Dev Biol 38: 463–469. , , , , .
- 1998. The life history of an embryonic signaling center: BMP-4 induces p21 and is associated with apoptosis in the mouse tooth enamel knot. Development 125: 161–169. , , , , .
- 2000. Reiterative signaling and patterning during mammalian tooth morphogenesis. Mech Dev 92: 19–29. , .
- 1993. Structural and functional diversity in the FGF receptor multigene family. Adv Cancer Res 60: 1–41. , .
- 1998. Distinct WNT pathways regulating AER formation and dorsoventral polarity in the chick limb bud. Science 280: 1274–1277. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Responsiveness of developing dental tissues to Fibroblast growth factors: expression of splicing alternatives of FGFR1, -2, -3, and of FGFR4; and stimulation of cell proliferation by FGF-2, -4, -8, and -9. Dev Genet 22: 374–385. , , .
- 1998. Expression and function of FGFs -4, -8 and -9 suggest functional redundancy and repetitive use as epithelial signals during tooth development. Dev Dyn 211: 256–268. , .
- 1970. Tissue interactions in embryonic mouse tooth germs. II. The inductive role of dental papillae. J Embryol Exp Morphol 24: 173–186. , .
- 1996. Lef1 expression is activated by BMP-4 and regulates inductive tissue interactions in tooth and hair development. Genes Dev 10: 1382–1394. , , , , .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factor-10: a second candidate stromal to epithelial cell andromedin in prostate. J Biol Chem 274: 12827–12834. , , , .
- 1988. Spatial organization of the epithelium and the role of neural crest cells in the initiation of the mammalian tooth germ. Development 103: 155–169. .
- 1996. Expression of neurotrophin receptors during rat tooth development is developmentally regulated, independent of innervation and suggests functions in the regulation of morphogenesis and innervation. Dev Dyn 206: 87–99. , , , , , .
- 1993. Mice homozygous for a targeted disruption of the proto-oncogene int-2 have developmental defects in the tail and inner ear. Development 117: 13–28. , , .
- 1999. FGF8 induces formation of an ectopic isthmic organizer and isthmocerebellar development via a repressive effect on Otx2 expression. Development 126: 1189–1200. , , , , .
- 1994. FGF-7 (keratinocyte growth factor) expression during mouse development suggests roles in myogenesis, forebrain regionalisation and epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Mech Dev 45: 15–30. , , , .
- 1995. Receptor binding and mitogenic properties of mouse fibroblast growth factor 3. J Biol Chem 270: 24197–24203. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Transgenic models to study the roles of inhibins and activins in reproduction, oncogenesis and development. Recent Prog Horm Res 51: 123–154. , , , , , , .
- 1997. A novel fibroblast growth factor gene expressed in the developing nervous system is a downstream target of the chimeric homeodomain oncoprotein E2A-Pbx1. Development 124: 3221–3232. , , , , .
- 1989. Improved retroviral vectors for gene transfer and expression. Biotechniques 7: 980–990. , .
- 1998. Fgf-10 is required for both limb and lung development and exhibits striking functional similarity to Drosophila branchless. Genes Dev 12: 3156–3161. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. The induction of odontogenesis in non-dental mesenchyme combined with early murine mandibular arch epithelium. Arch Oral Biol 32: 123–127. , .
- 1999. Signaling through fibroblast growth factor receptor 2b plays a key role in the development of the exocrine pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 6267–6272. , , , , .
- Structure and expression of a novel member, FGF-16, on the fibroblast growth factor family. 1998. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 243: 148–152. , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. Antagonistic interactions between FGF and BMP signaling pathways: a mechanisms for positioning the sites of tooth formation. Cell 90: 247–255. , , , .
- 1999. Structure and expression of novel human FGF, FGF-19, expressed in the fetal brain. Biochem Biophys Acta 1444: 148–151. , , , , .
- 1992. FGF4 expression during gastrulation, myogenesis, limb and tooth development in the mouse. Development 114: 755–768. , .
- 1998. Structure and expression of the mRNA encoding a novel fibroblast growth factor, FGF-18. J Biol Chem 273: 18161–18164. , , , , , .
- 1997. The mesenchymal factor, FGF10, initiates and maintains the outgrowth of the chick limb through interaction with FGF8, an apical ectoderm factor. Development 124: 2235–2244. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15292–15297. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Production of high-titer helper-free retroviruses by transient transfection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 8392–8396. , , , .
- 1994. Targeted expression of a dominant negative FGF receptor blocks branching morphogenesis and epithelial differentiation of the mouse lung. EMBO J 13: 3296–3301. , , , , , .
- 1998. Pax9-deficient mice lack pharyngeal pouch derivatives and teeth and exhibit craniofacial and limb abnormalities. Genes Dev 12: 2735–2747. , , , .
- 1999. Teeth. Where and how to make them? Trends Genet 15: 59–65. , .
- 1987. Determinisms of odontogenesis. Cell Biol Rev 14: 1–112. .
- 1999. Expression of Wnt signalling pathway genes during tooth development. Mech Dev 85: 197–200. , .
- 1994. Msx-1 deficient mice exhibit cleft palate and abnormalities of craniofacial and tooth development. Nat Genet 6: 348–356. , .
- 1999. Fgf10 is essential for limb and lung formation. Nat Genet 21: 138–141. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Fibroblast (FGF) homologous factors: new members of the FGF family in nervous system development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 9850–9857. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Antagonistic signals between BMP4 and FGF8 define the expression of Pitx1 and Pitx2 in mouse tooth-forming anlage. Dev Biol 217: 323–332. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Formation of Rathke's pouch requires dual induction from the diencephalon. Development 125: 4835–4840. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Tissue interactions in tooth development: differentiation 18: 75–88. , .
- 1990. Molecular changes during determination and differentiation of the dental mesenchymal cell lineage. Biol Buccale 18: 179–188 , , .
- 1997. Signalling networks regulating dental development. Mech Dev 67: 111–123. , .
- 1999. Prostatic growth and development are regulated by FGF10. Development 126: 3693–3701. , .
- 1998. Transformation of tooth type induced by inhibition of BMP signaling. Science 282: 1136–1138. , , .
- 1999. Molecular genetics of tooth morphogenesis and patterning: the right shape in the right place. J Dent Res 78: 826–834. , .
- 1991. Associations between transforming growth factor b1 RNA expression and epithelial-mesenchymal interactions during tooth morphogenesis. Development 113: 985–994. , , .
- 1996. The enamel knot as a signaling center in the developing mouse tooth. Mech Dev 54: 39–43. , , , , .
- 1993. Identification of BMP-4 as a signal mediating secondary induction between epithelial and mesenchymal tissues during early tooth development. Cell 75: 45–58. , , , .
- 1994. Development of several organs that require inductive epithelial-mesenchymal interactions is impaired in LEF-1 deficient mice. Genes Dev 8: 2691–2703. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Involvement of FGF-8 in initiation, outgrowth and patterning of the vertebrate limb. Development 122: 1737–1750. , , .
- 1996. FGF induces new feather buds from developing avian skin. J Invest Dermatol 107: 797–803. , , , , .
- 1995. Functions of fibroblast growth factors and their receptors. Curr Biol 5: 500–507. , , , .
- 1988. Expression of the FGF-related proto-oncogene int-2 during gastrulation and neurulation in the mouse EMBO J 7:671–695. , , , .
- 1989. Expression pattern of the FGF related proto-oncogene int-2 suggests multiple roles in development. Development 105: 131–136. , , .
- 1990. In situ hybridization and the three dimensional construction of serial sections. In: CoppAJ, CockroftDL, editors. Postimplantation mammalian embryos: a practical approach. Oxford: IRL Press. p 155–171. , .
- 1998. Fibroblast growth factor 2 FGFR-mediated reciprocal regulation loop between FGF8 and FGF10 is essential for limb induction. Development 125: 753–765. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Structure and expression of the rat mRNA encoding a novel member of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15918–15921. , , , .