Freddy Sitas and Valerie Beral devised and are the principal investigators of our study. Moosa Patel, Paul Ruff, Ranjan Sur, Martin Hale, David Saffer, Pradeep Rowji and Myles Connor assisted with the refinement of the study, patient recruitment, follow-up, counseling and with the classification of difficult conditions. Ute Jentsch managed the laboratory testing of the blood specimens. Rosana Pacella-Norman and Henri Carrara managed the interviewers, processing of specimens, data entry, verification and aspects of the analysis. Valerie Beral, Diana Bull, Rob Newton and Freddy Sitas produced the final tabulations. All authors contributed to the analysis of the data and to the writing of the article.
Epidemiology and Cancer Prevention
The spectrum of HIV-1 related cancers in South Africa †
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2000
Copyright © 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
International Journal of Cancer
Volume 88, Issue 3, pages 489–492, 1 November 2000
How to Cite
Sitas, F., Pacella-Norman, R., Carrara, H., Patel, M., Ruff, P., Sur, R., Jentsch, U., Hale, M., Rowji, P., Saffer, D., Connor, M., Bull, D., Newton, R. and Beral, V. (2000), The spectrum of HIV-1 related cancers in South Africa . Int. J. Cancer, 88: 489–492. doi: 10.1002/1097-0215(20001101)88:3<489::AID-IJC25>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Issue published online: 17 OCT 2000
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 18 APR 2000
- Manuscript Received: 24 JAN 2000
- South African Medical Research Council
- Cancer Association of South Africa, the University of the Witwatersrand
- South African Institute for Medical Research
- Department of Health
- Imperial Cancer Research Fund (U.K.)
- Kaposi's sarcoma among persons with AIDS: a sexually transmitted infection? Lancet, 335, 123-128 (1990). , , and ,
- AIDS-associated non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Lancet, 337, 805-809 (1991). , , and ,
- AIDS and cancer in Africa: the evolving epidemic in Zimbabwe. AIDS, 13, 2583-2588 (1999). , , , , , and ,
- The geographical distribution of Kaposi's sarcoma and of lymphomas in Africa before the AIDS epidemic. Br J Cancer, 78, 1521-1528 (1998). , , and ,
- Spectrum of AIDS-associated malignant disorders. Lancet, 351, 1833-1839 (1998). , , , , , , and ,
- Kaposi's sarcoma in England and Wales before the AIDS epidemic. Br. J. Cancer, 66, 1135-1137 (1992). , and ,
- International Agency For Research On Cancer. Working Group. IARC Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans, vol 67. Human immunodeficiency viruses and human T-cell lymphotropic viruses, Lyon: IARC (1996).
- International Agency For Research On Cancer. Working Group. IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans, vol 70. Epstein Barr Virus and Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus/human herpesvirus 8. Lyon: IARC 1997).
- Cancer and HIV in Rwanda. Lancet, 345, 1378-1379 (1995). , , , , , and ,
- Human immunodeficiency virus infection and cancer in Ugandan adults and children. Int. J. Cancer, this issue. , , , , , and ,
- AIDS related cancers in Africa: maturation of the epidemic in Uganda. AIDS, 13, 2563-2570 (1999). , , and ,
- Republic Of South Africa, Department Of Health. Epidemiological comments. 23, 4-16 1997).
- SAS Institute, Inc. SAS/STAT software: changes and enhancements through release 6.12. Cary, NC (1997).
- Risk of invasive cervical cancer among women with or at risk for, HIV infection. Int. J. Cancer, 82, 334-337 (1999). , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- Association between human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection and cancer in the black population of Johannesburg and Soweto, South Africa. Br. J. Cancer, 75, 1704-1707 (1997). , , , , and ,
- Incidence of histologically diagnosed cancer in South Africa 1993-1995. Johannesburg: National Cancer Registry, South African Institute for Medical Research 1998). , and ,
- Antibodies against human herpesvirus 8 in black South African patients with cancer. N Engl J Med, 340, 1863-1871 (1999). , , , , and ,
- Risk factors for Kaposi's sarcoma in HIV positive subjects in Uganda. AIDS, 11, 1619-1626 (1997). , , , , , and ,