Adult rat and human bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neurons
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2000
Copyright © 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Neuroscience Research
Volume 61, Issue 4, pages 364–370, 15 August 2000
How to Cite
Woodbury, D., Schwarz, E. J., Prockop, D. J. and Black, I. B. (2000), Adult rat and human bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neurons. J. Neurosci. Res., 61: 364–370. doi: 10.1002/1097-4547(20000815)61:4<364::AID-JNR2>3.0.CO;2-C
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2000
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAY 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 23 MAY 2000
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2000
- 1998. Engraftment and migration of human bone marrow stromal cells implanted in the brains of albino rats-similarities to astrocyte grafts. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 3908–3913. , , , , .
- 1996. Compartmentation of alpha-internexin and neurofilament triplet proteins in cultured hippocampal neurons. J Neurocytol 25: 181–196. , , , .
- 1999. Turning brain into blood: a hematopoietic fate adopted by adult neural stem cells in vivo. Science 283: 534–537. , , , , .
- 1998. Mesenchymal stem cells in osteobiology and applied bone regeneration. Clin Orthop Rel Res 355S: S247–S256. , , , , , .
- 1991. Mesenchymal stem cells. J Orthop Res 9: 641–650. .
- 1987. Two-stage expression of neurofilament polypeptides during rat neurogenesis with early establishment of adult phosphorylation patterns. Neuroscience 7: 3489–3504. , , , .
- 1998. Muscle regeneration by bone marrow-derived myogenic progenitors. Science 279: 1528–1530. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Engraftable human neural stem cells respond to developmental cues, replace neurons, and express foreign genes. Nature Biotech 16: 1033–1039. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995a. Survival and differentiation of adult neuronal progenitor cells transplanted to the adult brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 11879–11883. , , .
- 1995b. Isolation, characterization, and use of stem cells from the CNS. Annu Rev Neurosci 18: 159–192. , , .
- 1966. Regeneration. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. .
- 1999. Transplantability and therapeutic effects of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal cells in children with osteogenesis imperfecta. Nature Med 5: 309–313. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Effects of 2-mercaptoethanol on survival and differentiation of fetal mouse brain neurons cultured in vitro. Neurosci Lett 163: 159–162. , , , , .
- 1999. Identification of a neural stem cell in the adult mammalian central nervous system. Cell 96: 25–34. , , , , , .
- 1999. Marrow stromal cells migrate throughout the forebrain and cerebellum, and they differentiate into astrocytes after injection into neonatal mouse brains. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 10711–10716. , , .
- 1987. MAP2 and tau segregate into dendritic and axonal domains after the elaboration of morphologically distinct neurites: an immunocytochemical study of cultured rat cerebrum. J Neurosci 7: 3142–3153. , .
- 1997. Factors required for bone marrow stromal fibroblast colony formation in vitro. Br J Haemotol 97: 561–570. , , .
- 1999. Searching for stem cell regulatory molecules. Some general thoughts and possible approaches. Ann NY Acad Sci 872: 274–288. .
- 1990. CNS stem cells express a new class of intermediate filament protein. Cell 60: 585–595. , , .
- 1996. Conditionally immortalized neural progenitor cell lines integrate and differentiate after grafting to the adult rat striatum. A combined autoradiographic and electron microscopic study. Brain Res 737: 295–300. , , , , .
- 1997. Survival, integration, and differentiation of neural stem cell lines after transplantation to the adult striatum. Exp Neurol 145: 342–360. , , , , .
- 1998. Phenotypic and functional comparison of cultures of marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) and stromal cells. J Cell Physiol 176: 57–66. , , , , .
- 1999. Brain stem cells change their identity. Nature Med 5: 261–262. .
- 1994. Neural stem cells in the adult mammalian forebrain: a relatively quiescent subpopulation of subependymal cells. Neuron 13: 1071–1082. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Cell and molecular biology of vertebrate hard tissues. Ciba Found Symp 136: 42–60. , .
- 1993. Detection of neuron-specific enolase messenger ribonucleic acid in normal human leukocytes by polymerase chain reaction amplification with nested primers. Lab Invest 89: 743–749. , , .
- 1999. Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Science 284: 143–147. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cultured adherent cells from marrow can serve as long-lasting precursor cells for bone, cartilage, and lung in irradiated mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 4857–4861. .
- 1997. Marrow stromal cells as stem cells for nonhematopoietic tissues. Science 276: 71–74. .
- 1991. Routine histological compared with immunohistological examination of bone marrow trephine biopsy specimens in disseminated neuroblastoma. Clin Pathol 44: 483–486. , , , , .
- 1991. Region-specific differentiation of hippocampal stem cell line HiB5 upon implantation into the developing mammalian brain. Cell 66: 713–729. , , .
- 1992. Generation of neurons and astrocytes from isolated cells of the adult mammalian central nervous system. Science 255: 1707–1710. , .
- 1992. De novo generation of neuronal cells from the adult mouse brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 8591–8595. , , .
- 1998. Neuronal nuclear antigen (NeuN): a marker of neuronal maturation in early human fetal nervous system. Brain Res 20: 88–94. , , .
- 1997. Long-term survival of human central nervous system progenitor cells transplanted into a rat model of Parkinson's disease. Exp Neurol 148: 135–146. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Human γ enolase: isolation of a cDNA clone and expression in normal and tumor tissues of human origin. J Neurosci Res 19: 450–456. , , , , .
- 1993. bFGF regulates the proliferative fate of unipotent (neuronal) and bipotent (neuronal/astroglial) EGF-generated CNS progenitor cells. Neuron 11: 951–966. , , , .