Neurotrophin channeling of neural progenitor cell differentiation
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2001
Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Journal of Neurobiology
Volume 46, Issue 4, pages 265–280, March 2001
How to Cite
Benoit, B. O., Savarese, T., Joly, M., Engstrom, C. M., Pang, L., Reilly, J., Recht, L. D., Ross, A. H. and Quesenberry, P. J. (2001), Neurotrophin channeling of neural progenitor cell differentiation. J. Neurobiol., 46: 265–280. doi: 10.1002/1097-4695(200103)46:4<265::AID-NEU1007>3.0.CO;2-B
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2001
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 OCT 2000
- Manuscript Received: 24 APR 2000
- PO1. Grant Number: CA68426
- 1995. BDNF enhances the differentiation but not the survival of CNS stem cell-derived neuronal precursors. J Neurosci 15: 5765–5778. , , .
- 1990. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor increases survival and differentiated functions of rat septal cholinergic neurons in culture. Neuron 5: 297–306. , , , .
- 1993. Trophic effects of interleukin-4, -7, and -8 on hippocampal neuronal cultures: potential involvement of glial-derived factors. Brain Res 600: 49–55. , .
- 1997. Oligodendrocyte maturation and progenitor cell proliferation are independently regulated by thyroid hormone. Glia 19: 324–332. , , , , , .
- 1998. Growth and fate of PSA-NCAM+ precursors of the postnatal brain. J Neurosci 18: 5777–5788. , , , , .
- 1991. Neurotrophin-5: a novel neurotrophic factor that activates Trk A and Trk B. Neuron 7: 857–866. , , , , , .
- 1990. Proliferation and differentiation of neuronal stem cells regulated by nerve growth factor. Nature 347: 762–765. , .
- 1994. Neuropoietic cytokines and activin A differentially regulate the phenotype of cultured sympathetic neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 43–47. , .
- 1994. Neurotrophin-6 is a new member of the nerve growth factor family. Nature 372: 266–269. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Multipotent stem cells from the adult mouse brain proliferate and self-renew in response to basic fibroblast growth factor. J Neurosci 16: 1091–1100. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Bone morphogenetic proteins promote astroglial lineage commitment by mammalian subventricular zone progenitor cells. Neuron 17: 595–606. , , , , , .
- 1991. Evolutionary studies of the nerve growth factor family reveal a novel member abundantly expressed in Xenopus ovary. Neuron 7: 857–866. , , .
- 1990. Identification and characterization of a novel member of the nerve growth factor, brain-derived neurotrophic factor family. Nature 344: 339–341. , , , .
- 1997. In vitro cell density-dependent clonal growth of EGF-responsive murine neural progenitor cells under serum-free conditions. Exp Neurol 148: 147–156. , , , , , .
- 1991. BDNF is a neurotrophic factor for dopaminergic neurons of the substantia nigra. Nature 350: 350–352. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Overlapping and distinct actions of the neurotrophins BDNF, NT-3, and NT-4/5 on cultured dopaminergic and GABAergic neurons of the ventral mesencephalon. J Neurosci 14: 335–347. , , , , , .
- 1993. Cultured hippocampal neurons show responses to BDNF, NT-3, and NT-4, but not NGF. J Neurosci 13: 3394–3405. , , , .
- 1996. Single factors direct the differentiation of stem cells from the fetal and adult central nervous system. Genes Dev 10: 3129–3140. , , , , .
- 1986. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor supports the survival of cultured rat retinal ganglion cells. J Neurosci 6: 3031–3038. , , , .
- 1995. Cloned multipotential precursors from the mouse cerebrum require FGF-2, whereas glial restricted precursors are stimulated with either FGF-2 or EGF. J Neurosci 15: 3653–3661. , .
- 1995. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor promotes the survival of neurons arising from the adult rat forebrain subependymal zone. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 210–214. , .
- 1991. Promotion of central cholinergic and dopaminergic neuron differentiation and brain-derived neurotrophic factor but not neurotrophin-3. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 961–965. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Embryonic precursor cells that express Trk receptors: Induction of different cell fates by NGF, BDNF, NT-3, and CNTF. Exp Neurol 144: 350–360. , , , , , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning and expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Nature 341: 149–152. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Essential function of LIF receptor in motor neurons. Nature 378: 724–727. , , .
- 1998. Differentiation of mesenchephalic progenitor cells into dopaminergic neurons by cytokines. Exp Neurol 149: 411–423. , , , .
- 1990. Neurotrophin-3: a neurotrophic factor related to NGF and BDNF. Science 247: 1446–1451. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The hematopoietic cytokine colony stimulating factor 1 is also a growth factor in the CNS: (II). Microencapsulated CSF-1 and LM-10 cells as delivery systems. Exp Neurol 141: 47–56. , , .
- 1993. Cytokine regulation of neuronal differentiation of hippocampal progenitor cells. Nature 362: 62–65. , , , , .
- 1996a. CSF-1 deficiency in mice results in abnormal brain development. Development 122: 2661–2672. , , , , , , .
- 1996a. Interleukin-7 is trophic for embryonic neurons and is expressed in developing brain. Dev Biol 179: 251–263. , , , , .
- 1994. Brain derived neurotrophic factor promotes differentiation of striatal GABAergic neurons. Dev Biol 165: 243–256. , , .
- 1997. Cytokines which signal through the LIF receptor and their actions in the nervous system. Prog Neurobiol 52: 355–378. , , , , .
- 1997. Emergence of oligodendrocytes from human neural spheres. J Neurosci Res 50: 146–156. , .
- 1994. Neural stem cells in the adult mammalian forebrain: a relatively quiescent subpopulation of subependymal cells. Neuron 13: 1071–1082. , , , , .
- 1999. Correlates between hematopoiesis and neuropoiesis: neural stem cells. J Neurotrauma 16: 661–666. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. A multipotent EGF-responsive striatal embryonic progenitor cell produces neurons and astrocytes. J Neurosci 12: 4565–4574. , , .
- 1992. Generation of neurons and astrocytes from isolated cells of the adult mammalian central nervous system. Science 255: 1707–1710. , .
- 1996. Clonal and population analysis demonstrate that an EGF-responsive mammalian embryonic CNS precursor is a stem cell. Dev Biol 175: 1–13. , .
- 1989. The survival of chick retinal ganglion cells in response to brain-derived neurotrophic factor depends on their embryonic age. Dev Biol 136: 296–303. , , , .
- 2000a. Promoter-targeted selection and isolation of neural progenitor cells from the adult human ventricular zone. J Neurosci Res 59: 321–331. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Identification, isolation, and promoter-defined separation of mitotic oligodendrocyte progenitor cells from the adult human subcortical white matter. J Neurosci 19: 9986–9995. , , , , , , , .
- 2000b. In vitro neurogenesis by progenitor cells isolated from the adult human hippocampus. Nat Med 6: 271–277. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. In vitro survival and differentiation of neurons derived from epidermal growth factor-responsive postnatal hippocompal stem cells inducing effects of brain-derived neurotrophic factor. J Neurobiol 35: 395–425. , .
- 1997. Restricted growth potential of rat neural precursors as compared to mouse. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 99: 253–258. , , , , , .
- 1997. Roles of platelet-derived growth factor in the developing and mature nervous system. Brain Res Rev 24: 77–89. , , .
- 1993. BFGF regulates the proliferative fate of unipotent (neuronal) and bipotent (neuronal/astroglial) EGF-generated CNS progenitor cells. Neuron 11: 951–966. , , , .
- 1998. Isolation of neural precursors by sorting embryonic forebrain transfected with GFP regulated by the Tα1 tubulin promoter. Nature Biotechnol 16: 196–201. , , , , , .
- 1996a. Multipotent CNS stem cells are present in the adult mammalian spinal cord and ventricular neuroaxis. J Neurosci 16: 7599–7609. , , , , , , .
- 1996b. Is there a neural stem cell in the mammalian forebrain? Trends Neuro Sci 19: 387–393. , , , , , .
- 1996. Physiological relevance and functional potential of central nervous system-derived cell lines. Mol Neurobiol 12: 13. , .
- 1997. A PDGF-regulated immediate early gene response initiates neuronal differentiation in ventricular zone progenitor cells. Neuron 18: 553–562. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Astrocyte differentiation of fetal neuroepithelial cells by interleukin-11 via activation of a common cytokine signal transducer, gp130, and transcription factor, STAT3. J Neurochem 74: 1498–1504. , , , , , , , .