This is the protocol for a review and there is no abstract. The objectives are as follows:
The objective of this systematic review is to determine if antidepressants are more effective than reference treatments for non-specific low back pain and which type of antidepressant is most effective. Comparisons of antidepressants with reference treatments that will be investigated are:
1. antidepressants vs. placebo
2. antidepressants vs. analgesics
3. antidepressants vs. antidepressants (including tricyclic antidepressants vs. selective serotonin re uptake inhibitors)
4. antidepressants vs. other drugs or drug combinations
5. antidepressants vs. non-drug treatment (e.g., physiotherapy, exercise therapy, manipulation)
If sufficient relevant information is available, we will include subgroup analyses within these comparisons of tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin re uptake inhibitors.