This is the protocol for a review and there is no abstract. The objectives are as follows:
The objective of the review is to determine the safety and efficacy of mitoxantrone as an immunosuppressive therapy in patients affected by secondary progressive and progressive relapsing MS.
The primary hypothesis to be tested are that mitoxantrone treatment of patients with secondary progressive and progressive relapsing MS:
- is effective in reducing progression of disability
- has an acceptable safety profile
The secondary hypothesis to be tested are that mitoxantrone:
- is effective in reducing the rate of relapses
- is effective in improve patient's health related quality of life
- is effective in reducing the number of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) active lesions
- is effective in reducing the amount of lesion burden on MRI scans of the brain.