This is the protocol for a review and there is no abstract. The objectives are as follows:
The objective of the review is to determine the effectiveness of specific lifestyle interventions in the management of adult urinary incontinence.
We wish to make the following comparisons:
1) weight loss by obese or overweight adults versus no treatment;
2) decreasing fluid intake per se or reduction in caffeine, tobacco, fizzy drinks or alcohol consumption versus no treatment;
3) restricting strenuous physical forces versus no treatment;
4) reducing high levels of, or increasing low levels of, physical activity versus no treatment ;
5) dietary changes versus no treatment ;
6) smoking cessation versus no treatment ;
7) treating constipation versus no treatment ;
8) any lifestyle interventions, either alone or in combination, versus other lifestyle interventions or pharmacological and other conservative therapies.