This is the protocol for a review and there is no abstract. The objectives are as follows:
The primary objective of this review is to determine the prophylactic effect of LMWH on the incidence of CVC-related thrombosis in children.
Secondary objectives are to determine the effect of LMWH on:
(1) occlusion of CVC (defined as inability to infuse fluids through the catheter due to blockage);
(2) number of days of CVC patency;
(3) episodes of catheter-related sepsis (defined as symptoms and signs suggestive of sepsis accompanied by positive blood cultures obtained from a normally sterile site different to a central line, and from the line or catheter tip, each growing the same micro-organism)
(4) abnormality of coagulation profile;
(5) allergic reactions to LMWH;
(6) bleeding complications;
(7) osteoporosis with long-term use;
(8) mortality during therapy.