This is not the most recent version of the article. View current version (5 OCT 2011)
Routine iron supplementation for preventing or treating iron-deficiency anaemia in children in malaria-endemic areas
Editorial Group: Cochrane Infectious Diseases Group
Published Online: 18 JUL 2007
Copyright © 2009 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
How to Cite
Ojukwu JU, Okebe JU. Routine iron supplementation for preventing or treating iron-deficiency anaemia in children in malaria-endemic areas (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD006589. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006589.
- Publication Status: Unchanged
- Published Online: 18 JUL 2007
This is not the most recent version of the article. View current version (05 OCT 2011)
- Iron and folate status in Gambian children with malaria. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 1990;10(3):265-72. .
- Iron biology in immune function, muscle metabolism and neurological functioning. The Journal of Nutrition 2001;131 Suppl 2(2):568-80. .
- Effect of daily iron supplementation on iron status, cell-mediated immunity, and incidence of infections in 6-36 month old Togolese children. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2000;54(1):29-35. , , , , , , et al.
- Severe anaemia in Zambian children with Plasmodium falciparium malaria. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2000;5(1):9-16. , , , , .
- Longitudinal cohort study of the epidemiology of malaria infections in an area of intense malaria transmission II. Description of study site, general methodology and study population. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1999;60(4):635-40. , , , , , , et al.
- Management of severe malarial anaemia in Gambian children. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1997;91(5):557-61. , , , , .
- The ears of the hippopotamus: manifestations, determinants, and estimates of the malaria burden. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2001;64 Suppl 1-2:1-11. .
- Reducing the burden of anemia in infants and young children in malaria-endemic countries of Africa: from evidence to action. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2004;71 Suppl 2:25-34. .
- Daily iron supplementation is more efficacious than twice weekly iron supplementation for the treatment of childhood anemia in western Kenya. Journal of Nutrition 2004;134(5):1167-74. , , , , , , et al.
- Malaria and anaemia. Current Opinion in Haematology 2003;10(2):108-14. .
- Iron. Vitamin and mineral requirements in human nutrition. 2nd Edition. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2005:246-78. , .
- Effect of iron supplementation on incidence of infectious illness in children: systematic review. BMJ 2002;325(7373):1142. , .
- A review of studies on the effect of iron deficiency on cognitive development in children. Journal of Nutrition 2001;131 Suppl 2(2):649-66. , .
- The epidemiology of malaria. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 1997;91(7):763-9. .
- Iron deficiency and reduced work capacity: a critical review of the research to determine a causal relationship. Journal of Nutrition 2001;131 Suppl 2(2):676-88. , .
- The effect of iron therapy on malarial infection in Papua New Guinean schoolchildren. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1989;40(1):12-8. , , , , , , et al.
- Report on agreement to perform work (APW). Determination of populations at malaria risks [Ref. M50/370/19]. www.rbm.who.int/partnership/wg/wg_monitoring/docs/apw_report_oxford.pdf 2004 (accessed 20 March 2007). , , .
- Highly sensitive search strategies for identifying reports of randomized controlled trials in MEDLINE. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions 4.2.6 [updated September]; Appendix 5b. www.cochrane.org/resources/ handbook/hbook.htm (accessed 1 March 2007). , , editors.
- International Nutritional Anemia Consultative Group (INACG). INACG consensus statement: Safety of iron supplementation programs in malaria-endemic regions. www.idpas.org/pdf/330SafetyOfIron.pdf 1999 (accessed 7 February 2007).
- Systematic reviews in health care: Assessing the quality of controlled clinical trials. BMJ 2001;323(7303):42-6. , , .
- Risk factors for presentation to hospital with severe anaemia in Tanzanian children: a case-control study. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2002;7(10):823-30. , , , , , , et al.
- The role of iron in bacterial infections with special consideration of host-tubercle bacillus interaction. Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology 1973;60:1-30. .
- Iron supplementation improves appetite and growth in anaemic Kenyan school children. Journal of Nutrition 1994;124(5):645-54. , , , , .
- Iron therapy for improving psychomotor development and cognitive function in children under the age of three with iron deficiency anaemia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2001, Issue 2. [DOI: DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001444] , , .
- Low-dose daily iron supplementation for 12 months does not increase the prevalence of malarial infection or density of parasites in young Zanzibari children. Journal of Nutrition 2004;134(11):3037-41. , , , , , , et al.
- Randomized placebo-controlled trial of iron supplementation and malaria chemoprophylaxis for prevention of severe anaemia and malaria in Tanzanian infants. Lancet 1997;350(9081):844-50. , , , , , , et al.
- Malaria-related anaemia. Parasitology Today 2000;16(11):469-76. , , .
- The adverse effect of iron repletion on the course of certain infections. British Medical Journal 1978;2(6145):1113-5. , , , .
- Severe anaemia in children living in a malaria endemic area of Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 1997;2(1):165-78. , , , , , , et al.
- Iron deficiency and malaria among children living on the coast of Kenya. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2004;191(4):439-47. , , , , , , et al.
- Iron supplementation increases prevalence and effects of malaria: report on clinical studies in Papua New Guinea. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1986;80(4):603-12. , , , , , , et al.
- Iron and its relation to immunity and infectious disease. Journal of Nutrition 2001;131 Suppl 2(2):616-33. .
- Extracting summary statistics to perform meta-analyses of the published literature for survival endpoints. Statistics in Medicine 1998;17(24):2815-34. , , .
- Iron deficiency and cognitive function. Annual Review of Nutrition 1993;13:521-37. .
- Multimicronutrient Interventions but not vitamin A or iron interventions alone improve child growth: results of 3 meta-analyses. Journal of Nutrition 2004;134(10):2592-602. , , , .
Review Manager 5
- The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration. Review Manager (RevMan). 5.0. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2008.
- Effect of iron supplementation on mental and motor development in children: systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Public Health Nutrition 2005;8(2):117-32. , , .
- Effects of routine prophylactic supplementation with iron and folic acid on admission to hospital and mortality in preschool children in a high malaria transmission setting: community-based, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2006;367(9505):133-43. , , , , , , et al.
- African children with malaria in an area of intense Plasmodium falciparum transmission: features on admission to the hospital and risk factors for death. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1999;61(3):431-8. , , , , , , et al.
- In-hospital morbidity and mortality due to malaria-associated severe anaemia in two areas of Malawi with different patterns of malaria infection. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1994;88(5):548-51. , , , .
- The effects on malaria of treatment of iron-deficiency anaemia with oral iron in Gambian children. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 1989;9(1):17-23. , , , , .
- Hookworm control as a strategy to prevent iron deficiency. Nutrition Review 1997;55(6):223-32. , , , .
- Guidelines for the use of iron supplements to prevent and treat iron deficiency anaemia. Washington, D. C.: ILSI Press, 1998. , , , , .
- Effect of routine prophylactic supplementation with iron and folic acid on preschool child mortality in Southern Nepal: community-based, cluster-randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2006;367(9505):144-52. , , , , , , et al.
- Spotlight on iron. The state of the world's children 1998 [www.unicef.org/sowc98/slight5.htm]. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press for UNICEF, 1998:78. .
van Hensbroek 1995
- Iron, but not folic acid, combined with effective antimalarial therapy promotes haematological recovery in African children after acute falciparum malaria. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1995;89(5):672-9. , , , , , , et al.
- World Health Organization. Dept. of Nutrition for Health and Development. Iron deficiency anaemia : assessment, prevention and control : a guide for programme managers [WHO/NHD/01.3]. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2001.
- World Health Organization, Malaria Control Unit. The Africa malaria report 2003 [WHO/CDS/MAL/2003.1093]. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2003.
- Iron deficiency anaemia. In: Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers A, Murray CJL editor(s). Comparative quantification of health risks: global and regional burden of disease attributable to selected major risk factors. Volume 1. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2004. , , .