- Experiences of stigma and access to HAART in children and adolescents living with HIV/AIDS in Brazil. Social Science & Medicine 2006;62(5):1219-28. , .
- Stigma, HIV and AIDS: an exploration and elaboration of a stigma trajectory. Social Science & Medicine 1995;41:303-15. , .
Awiti Ujiji 2011
- Reasoning and deciding PMTCT-adherence during pregnancy among women living with HIV in Kenya. Culture, Health & Sexuality 2011;13(7):829-40. , , , , , .
- Burden of HIV among female sex workers in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2012;12(7):538-49. , , , , , , , et al.
- Evaluation of an AIDS education programme for young adults. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 1993;47(2):134-8. , .
- Structural stigma, sex work and HIV: contradictions and lessons learnt from a community-led structural intervention in southern India. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2012;66(Suppl 2):ii95-9. , , , .
- HIV-related stigma among people with HIV and their families: a qualitative analysis. AIDS and Behavior 2008;12(2):244-54. , , , , , , et al.
- Validation of a brief stigma-by-association scale for use with HIV/AIDS-affected youth in South Africa. AIDS Care 2013;25(2):215-22. , , .
- Interventions to reduce HIV/AIDS stigma: what have we learned?. AIDS Education and Prevention 2003;15(1):46-69. , , .
- Reasons for loss to follow-up among mothers registered in a prevention-of-mother-to-child transmission program in rural Malawi. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2008;102(12):1195-200. , , , , , , et al.
- Understanding and addressing AIDS-related stigma: From anthropological theory to clinical practice in Haiti. American Journal of Public Health 2005;95(1):53-9. , .
- Barriers to free antiretroviral treatment access among kothi-identified men who have sex with men and aravanis (transgender women) in Chennai, India. AIDS Care 2011;23(12):1687-94. , , , .
- Lessons from social psychology on discrediting psychiatric stigma. American Psychologist 1999;54(9):765-76. , .
- Stigmatizing attitudes about mental illness and allocation of resources to mental health services. Community Mental Health Journal 2004;40(4):297-307. , , , .
- Is HIV/AIDS stigma dividing the gay community? Perceptions of HIV-positive men who have sex with men. AIDS Education and Prevention 2006;18(1):56-67. , , , .
de Bruyn 1992
- Women and AIDS in developing countries. Social Science & Medicine 1992;34:249-63. .
de Bruyn 2004
- Stigma and stigmatization. A plan of action for Canada to reduce HIV/AIDS-related stigma and discrimination. Toronto, Ontario: Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network, 2004:8-19. .
- Statistical methods for examining heterogeneity and combining results from several studies in meta-analysis. In: Egger M, Smith GD, Altman DG editor(s). Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context. London: BMJ Books, 2001. , , .
- AIDS-related stigma and attitudes towards AIDS-infected people among adolescents. AIDS Care 2006;18(3):208-14. , , .
- The impact of homophobia, poverty and racism on the mental health of gay and bisexual Latino men: findings from 3 US cities. American Journal of Public Health 2001;91(6):927-32. , , , , .
- Effect of the HIV epidemic on infant feeding in South Africa: "When they see me coming with the tins they laugh at me". Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2006;84(2):90-6. , , , , .
- From conceptualizing to measuring HIV stigma: a review of HIV stigma mechanism measures. AIDS and Behavior 2009;13:1160-77. , .
- Community, responsibility and culpability: HIV risk-management amongst Scottish gay men. Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology 2000;10(4):285-300. , , .
- Barriers to initiation of antiretroviral treatment in rural and urban areas of Zambia: a cross-sectional study of cost, stigma, and perceptions about ART. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2010;13(8):1-11. , , , , , .
- Still too far to walk: literature review of the determinants of delivery service use. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2009;9:34. , .
- HIV risk behaviors in sub-Saharan Africa and Northern Thailand: baseline behavioral data from Project Accept. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome 2008;49(3):309-19. , , , , , , et al.
- Stigma: Notes on the management of spoiled identity. New Jersey: Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1963. .
- Disability discrimination in America: HIV/AIDS and other health conditions. JAMA 1999;281(8):745-52. , , .
- Rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations: What is "quality of evidence" and why is it important to clinicians?. BMJ 2008;336(7651):995-8. , , , , , .
- Public reactions to AIDS in the United States: a second decade of stigma. American Journal of Public Health 1993;83(4):574-7. , .
- HIV-related stigma and knowledge in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1991-1999. American Journal of Public Health 2002;92(3):371-7. , , .
- Confronting sexual stigma and prejudice: theory and practice. Journal of Social Issues 2007;63(4):905-925. .
- Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions, version 5.0.0 (updated 2009). Wiley-Blackwell, 2009. , .
- HIV testing attitudes, AIDS stigma, and voluntary HIV counselling and testing in a black township in Cape Town, South Africa. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2003;79(6):442-7. , .
- Development of a brief scale to measure AIDS-related stigma in South Africa. AIDS and Behavior 2005;9(2):135-43. , , .
- Measuring AIDS stigmas in people living with HIV/AIDS: the Internalized AIDS-Related Stigma Scale. AIDS Care 2009;21(1):87-93. , , , , , .
- HIV risk behavior reduction following intervention with key opinion leaders of population: an experimental analysis. American Journal of Public Health 1991;81(2):168-71. , , , , , , et al.
- HIV counseling and testing of pregnant women in sub-Saharan Africa: experiences from a study on prevention of mother-to-child HIV-1 transmission in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2001;28(5):458-62. , , , , , , et al.
- Participation of the school community in AIDS education: An evaluation of a high school programme in South Africa. AIDS Care 1994;6(2):161-71. , , .
- Prevalence of, and factor associated with, HIV/AIDS-related stigma and discriminatory attitudes in Bostwana. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition 2003;21(4):347-57. .
- HIV/AIDS-related stigmatizing and discriminatory attitudes and recent HIV testing among men who have sex with men in Beijing. AIDS and Behavior 2012;16:499-507. , , , , , , et al.
- Reducing HIV-related stigma in health care settings: a randomized controlled trial in China. American Journal of Public Health 2013;103(2):286-92. , , , , , et al.
- Conceptualizing stigma. Annual Review of Sociology 2001;27:363-85. , .
- Understanding interrelationship among HIV-related stigma, concern about HIV infection, and intent to disclose HIV serostatus: a pretest-posttest study in a rural area of eastern China. AIDS Patient Care and STDS 2006;20(2):133-42. , , , , , .
- Adapting the minority stress model: Associations between gender non-conformity stigma, HIV-related stigma and depression among men who have sex with men in South India. Social Science & Medicine 2012;74:1261-68. , , , .
- "We don't exist": a qualitative study of marginalization experienced by HIV-positive lesbian, bisexual, queer and transgender women in Toronto, Canada. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2012;15:17392. , , , .
- Slow and steady wins the race: a randomized clinical trial of acceptance and commitment therapy targeting shame in substance use disorders. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 2012;80(1):43-53. , , , .
- Acceptance of and barriers to voluntary HIV counselling and testing among adults in Guizhou province, China. AIDS 2007;21(Suppl 8):S129-35. , , .
- Stigma in the HIV/AIDS epidemic: a review of the literature and recommendations for the way forward. AIDS 2008;Suppl 2:S67-79. , , , , , , et al.
- Statement at an informal briefing on AIDS to the 42nd session of the Unites Nations General Assembly. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series A 1988;151(1):131-6. .
- Challenges in PMTCT antiretroviral adherence in northern KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. AIDS Care 2011;23:741-7. , , , , .
- "We fear the police, and the police fear us": structural and individual barriers and facilitators to HIV medication adherence among injection drug users in Kiev, Ukraine. AIDS Care 2010;22(11):1305-13. , , , , , .
- Combating HIV stigma in health care settings: what works?. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2009;12:15. , , , .
- Saving the sick and improving the socio-economic conditions of people living with HIV in Ethiopia through traditional burial groups. Health Policy and Planning 2012;Epub ahead of print:1-9. , , , .
- Sociodemographic factors associated with participation by HIV-1-positive pregnant women in an intervention to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Cote d'Ivoire. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2005;16(3):237-42. , , , , , , et al.
- HIV and AIDS-related stigma and discrimination: a conceptual framework and implications for action. Social Science & Medicine 2003;57(1):13-24. , .
- AIDS: from crisis management to sustained strategic response. Lancet 2006;368(9534):526-30. .
- A dual-process model of reactions to perceived stigma. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 2004;87(4):436-52. , , , .
- Experiences of stigma in healthcare settings among adults living with HIV in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2010;13:27. , , , , , , et al.
- Stigma and sexual compulsivity in a community-based sample of HIV-positive gay and bisexual men. AIDS and Behavior 2012;16(3):741-50. , , , .
- Tell them you love them because you never know when things could change: voices of adolescents living with HIV-positive mothers. AIDS Care 2002;14(2):285-94. , , .
- Perceptions of community- and family-level injection drug user (IDU)- and HIV-related stigma, disclosure decisions and experiences with layered stigma among HIV-positive IDUs in Vietnam. AIDS Care 2012;24(2):239-44. , , , , , , et al.
- Experiences of social stigma and implications for healthcare among a diverse population of HIV positive adults. Journal of Urban Health 2007;84(6):814-28. , , , , .
- HIV interventions to reduce HIV/AIDS stigma: a systematic review. AIDS and Behavior 2011;15(6):1075-87. , , , , .
- HIV-related stigma: adapting a theoretical framework for use in India. Social Science & Medicine 2008;67(8):1225-35. , , , , , , et al.
- A qualitative study of stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. AIDS and Behavior 2008;12(4 Suppl):S63-70. , , , , , , et al.
- Evidence for the reliability and validity of the internalized AIDS-related stigma scale in rural Uganda. AIDS and Behavior 2013;17(1):427-33. , , , , , , et al.
- HIV/AIDS stigma and refusal of HIV testing among pregnant women in rural Kenya: results from the MAMAS Study. AIDS and Behavior 2011;15(6):1111-20. , , , , , .
- Global HIV/AIDS response: Epidemic update and health sector progress towards universal access. http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/unaidspublication/2011/20111130_UA_Report_en.pdf 2011. .
- Awareness and attitude of the general public toward HIV/AIDS in coastal Karnataka. Indian Journal of Community Medicine 2010;35(4):142-6. , , , .
- AIDS-related stigma and social interaction: Puerto Ricans living with HIV/AIDS. Qualitative Health Research 2005;15(2):169-87. , , .
- A brief HIV stigma reduction intervention for service providers in China. AIDS Patient Care and STDs 2008;22(6):513-20. , , , , , , et al.
- HIV-related stigma, social norms, and HIV testing in Soweto and Vulindlela, South Africa: National Institutes of Mental Health Project Accept (HPTN 043). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2010;55(5):620-4. , , , , , , et al.
- Violence victimization after HIV infection in a US probability sample of adult patients in primary care. American Journal of Public Health 2000;90(2):208-15. , , , , , , et al.