Fluid restriction for symptomatic patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants
Editorial Group: Cochrane Neonatal Group
Published Online: 15 APR 2009
Assessed as up-to-date: 16 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
How to Cite
Harish Madhava MS, Settle P. Fluid restriction for symptomatic patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD007800. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007800.
- Publication Status: New
- Published Online: 15 APR 2009
This is the protocol for a review and there is no abstract. The objectives are as follows:
To evaluate the effects of conservative medical management (fluid restriction with or without diuretics) on ductal closure or reduction of the size of the PDA in preterm infants with symptomatic PDA.
Subgroup analysis will evaluate the effectiveness and safety of conservative medical management of symptomatic PDA based on the following criteria:
- gestational age (< 28 weeks, 28 - 32 weeks, > 33 - 37 weeks)
- birth weight (<1000 g, 1000 - 1500 g, 1501 - 2500 g)
- method used to diagnose a PDA (clinical criteria or wo-dimension Echocardiographic and doppler criteria or both)
- degree of fluid restriction (aim for weight loss or aim for static weight)
- duration of fluid restriction (short-term < 5 days, long-term > 5 days)
- type of intervention (fluid restriction only, fluid restriction with diuretics)
Gestational age subgroup analysis will be done preferentially unless only birthweight information is available.