- Impact of misclassification of in vitro fertilization in studies of folic acid and twinning: modeling using population based Swedish vital records. BMJ 2005;330:815-8. , , .
- Report for FFI technical workshop on folic acid fortification of flour. CDC, 2009. .
- Trends of selected malformations in relation to folic acid recommendations and fortification: an international assessment. Birth Defects Research Part A. Clinical and Molecular Teratology 2006;76:693-705. , , , , , , et al.
- Vitamin supplements and the risk for congenital anomalies other than neural tube defects. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C. Seminars in Medical Genetics 2004;125C(1):12-21. , , .
- International retrospective cohort study of neural tube defects in relation to folic acid recommendations: are the recommendations working?. BMJ 2005;330:571-3. , , , , , , et al.
- Preventing neural tube defects in Europe: a missed opportunity. Reproductive Toxicology 2006;20:393-402. , , , , , , et al.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Report on Biochemical Indicators of Diet and Nutrition in the US Population 1999-2002. Water soluble vitamins and related biochemical compounds. Atlanta, GA: Department of Health and Human Services, 2008.
- A polymorphism (80G->A) in the reduced folate carrier gene and its associations with folate status and homocysteinemia. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 2000;70(4):310-5. , , , , , , et al.
- Folic acid for the prevention of colorectal adenomas: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2007;297(21):2351-9. , , , , , , et al.
- Prevention of the first occurrence of neural-tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation. New England Journal of Medicine 1992;327(26):1832-5. , .
- The higher rate of multiple births after periconceptional multivitamin supplementation: an analysis of causes. Acta Geneticae Medicae et Gemellologiae 1994;43(3-4):175-84. , , .
- Periconceptional folic acid and multivitamin supplementation for the prevention of neural tube defects and other congenital abnormalities. Birth Defects Research Part A. Clinical and Molecular Teratology 2009;85(4):260-8. .
- Statistical methods for examining heterogeneity and combining results from several studies in meta-analysis. In: Egger M, Davey Smith G, Altman DG editor(s). Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context. London: BMJ Books, 2001. , , .
- Iron and folic acid supplementation and malaria risk. Lancet 2006;367(9505):90-1. , .
- Use of multivitamins and folic acid in early pregnancy and multiple births in Sweden. Twin Research 2001;4(2):63-6. , , .
- Prenatal multivitamin supplementation and rates of congenital anomalies: a meta-analysis. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada: JOGC 2006;28:680-9. , , , .
- Multiple-micronutrient supplementation for women during pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, Issue 4. [DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004905.pub2] , .
- Folate supplementation in pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 1. [DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006896] , , , .
- Not all cases of neural-tube defect can be prevented by increasing the intake of folic acid. British Journal of Nutrition 2008 in press. , , , , .
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.0.1 [updated September 2008]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2008. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org. , , editors.
- [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate is at least as effective as folic acid in preventing a decline in blood folate concentrations during lactation. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2006;83(4):842-50. , , , , .
- Reducing birth defects: meeting the challenge in the developing world. Washington: National Academies Press, 2003. , , , editors.
- Effect of folic acid supplement on birth weights of infants. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 1975;122(3):332-6. , .
- Trends in twinning rates in metropolitan Atlanta before and after folic acid fortification. Journal of Reproductive Medicine 2004;49(9):707-12. , .
- Supplementation with [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate or folic acid equally reduces plasma total homocysteine concentrations in healthy women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2004;79(3):473-8. , , , .
- Folic acid supplements during early pregnancy and likelihood of multiple births: a population-based cohort study. Lancet 2003;361(9355):380-4. , , , , , , et al.
Life Sciences Research Office 1994
- Life Sciences Research Office, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Assessment of folate methodology used in the Third National Health and Nutrition Survey (NHANES 1988-1994). Washington DC: U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Department of Health and Human Services, 1994.
- Periconceptional supplementation with folate and/or multivitamins for preventing neural tube defects. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2001, Issue 3. [DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001056] , , , .
- Homocysteine, folic acid and B12 serum levels in pregnancy complicated with preeclampsia. Archives of Gynecology & Obstetrics 2007;275(2):121-4. , , , , , , et al.
- A temporal association between folic acid fortification and an increase in colorectal cancer rates may be illuminating important biological principles: a hypothesis. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 2007;16(7):1325-9. , , , , , , et al.
- Folate bioavailability. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2004;63(4):529-36. , .
- Impact of public health on human genetics. Clinical Genetics 1989;36(5):286-98. , .
- Prevention of neural tube defects: results of the Medical Research Council Vitamin Study. MRC Vitamin Study Research Group. Lancet 1991;338(8760):131-7. .
- Regional patterns of disability-free life expectancy and disability-adjusted life expectancy: Global Burden of Disease Study. Lancet 1997;349(9062):1347-52. , .
- Effect of folate derivatives on the activity of antifolate drugs used against malaria and cancer. Parasitology Research 2008;102(6):1227-34. , , , , , , et al.
- Homocysteine and folic acid are inversely related in black women with preeclampsia. Hypertension 2004;43(6):1279-82. , , , , .
Peña Rosas 2006
- Effects of routine oral iron supplementation with or without folic acid for women during pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, Issue 3. [DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004736.pub2] , .
- Are we ready for mandatory fortification with vitamin B-12?. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2008;88(2):253-4. , .
- The influence of erythrocyte folate and serum vitamin B12 status on birth weight. British Journal of Nutrition 2005;93(5):593-9. , , .
- Treatments for iron-deficiency anaemia in pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, Issue 2. [DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003094.pub2] , , .
- The Cochrane Collaboration. Review Manager (RevMan). 5.0. Copenhagen, The Nordic Cochrane Centre: The Cochrane Collaboration, 2008.
- The influence of folic acid supplement on the outcome of pregnancies in the county of Funen in Denmark. Part I. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 1999;87(2):105-10; discussion 103-4. , , , , , .
- The use of blood concentrations of vitamins and their respective functional indicators to define folate and vitamin B12 status. Food & Nutrition Bulletin 2008;29(2 Suppl):S67-S73. , , , , .
- Food fortification with folic acid and twinning among California infants. American Journal of Medical Genetics 2003;119A:137-40. , , , , .
- Congenital anomalies. In: Murray C, Lopez A editor(s). Health dimensions of sex and reproduction. Boston: Harvard School of Public Health, 1998:463-73. , .
- Effects of folic acid fortification on twin gestation rates. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2005;105:757-62. , , , .
- Folate and human reproduction. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2006;83(5):993-1016. , .
Van der Put 1998
- A second common mutation in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene: an additional risk factor for neural-tube defects?. American Journal of Human Genetics 1998;62(5):1044-51. , , , , , , et al.
Van Eijk 2008
- Plasma folate level and high-dose folate supplementation predict sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine treatment failure in pregnant women in Western Kenya who have uncomplicated malaria. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2008;198(10):1550-3. , , , , , , et al.
- Increases in blood folate indices are similar in women of childbearing age supplemented with [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate and folic acid. Journal of Nutrition 2002;132(11):3353-5. , , , , , .
- Comparison of the effect of low-dose supplementation with L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate or folic acid on plasma homocysteine: a randomized placebo-controlled study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2003;77(3):658-62. , , , .
- Folate supplementation and twin pregnancies. Epidemiology 2005;16(2):201-5. , , , , , , et al.
- Community control of genetic and congenital disorders. Alexandria: WHO, 1997. , , editors.
- World Health Organization. Human genetics: services for the prevention and management of genetic disorders and birth defects in developing countries. Report of a joint WHO/WOAPBD Meeting. Geneva: WHO, 1999.
- World Health Organization. Primary health care approaches for the prevention and control of congenital genetic disorders. Report of a WHO meeting. Geneva: WHO, 2000.
- Neonatal and perinatal mortality. Country, regional and global estimates 2004. Geneva: Department of Making Pregnancy Safer, WHO, 2004. , .
- World Health Organization. Prevention of neural tube defects. Standards for maternal and neonatal care. www.who.int/reproductive-health/publications/standards/neural_tube_defects.pdf (accessed 22 January 2009).
- World Health Organization. Conclusions of a WHO technical consultation on folate and vitamin B12 deficiencies. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2008;29(2 Suppl):S238-S244.
- World Health Organization. Weekly iron-folic acid supplementation (WIFS) in women of reproductive age: its role in promoting optimal maternal and child health. Position statement. www.who.int/nutrition (accessed 23 January 2009).
- MTHFR 677C-->T mutation, folate intake, neural-tube defect, and risk of cardiovascular disease. Lancet 1997;350(9078):603-4. .
- Folic acid supplements and risk of facial clefts: national population based case-control study. BMJ 2007;334(7591):464. , , , , , , et al.
- Maternal nutrition, intrauterine programming and consequential risks in the offspring. Reviews in Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders 2008;9(3):203-11. , .