Point-of-use fortification of foods with micronutrient powders containing iron in children of preschool and school age
Editorial Group: Cochrane Developmental, Psychosocial and Learning Problems Group
Published Online: 15 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2014 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
How to Cite
De-Regil LM, Jefferds MED, Peña-Rosas JP. Point-of-use fortification of foods with micronutrient powders containing iron in children of preschool and school age (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD009666. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009666.
- Publication Status: Edited (no change to conclusions)
- Published Online: 15 FEB 2012
- Efficacy of intermittent iron supplementation in the control of iron deficiency anaemia in developing countries. The Micronutrient Initiative. Ottawa: The Micronutrient Initiative, 1999. , .
- Introduction to Meta-Analysis (Statistics in Practice). United Kingdom: Wiley, 2008. , , , .
- Multi-micronutrient Sprinkles including a low dose of iron provided as microencapsulated ferrous fumarate improves haematologic indices in anaemic children: a randomized clinical trial. Maternal and Child Nutrition 2006;2(3):169-80. , , , , , .
De Pee 2008
de Pee 2009
- Current and potential role of specially formulated foods and food supplements for preventing malnutrition among 6- to 23-month-old children and for treating moderate malnutrition among 6- to 59-month-old children. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2009;30:S434-63. , .
- Chapter 9: Analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses. In: Higgins JPT, Green S editor(s). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. 5.1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org. , , .
- Systematic review of the efficacy and effectiveness of complementary feeding interventions in developing countries. Maternal and Child Nutrition 2008;4(Suppl 1):24-85. , .
- GradeProfiler. 3.2 for Windows. GRADEpro, 2008. , , .
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org. , , editors.
- Scaling Up Nutrition. What Will It Cost?. Washington: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank, 2010. , , , , .
- Effect of daily versus once-weekly home fortification with micronutrient Sprinkles on hemoglobin and iron status among young children in rural Bangladesh. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2007;28(2):156-64. , , , , .
- Bioavailability of iron from micro-encapsulated iron sprinkle supplement. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2002;23(Suppl 3):133-7. , .
- Global burden of iron deficiency anaemia in the year 2000. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/bod_irondeficiencyanaemia.pdf 2002 (accessed 27 July 2010). , .
- The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration. Review Manager (RevMan). 5.1. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011.
- Sprinkles Global Health Initiative (SGHI). Micronutrient Sprinkles for use in infants and young children: guidelines on recommendations for use and program monitoring and evaluation. http://www.sghi.org/resource_centre/GuidelinesGen2008.pdf 2008 (accessed on 10 September 2010).
- Iron deficiency anaemia. In: Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers A, Murray CLJ editor(s). Comparative quantification of health risks: global and regional burden of disease. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2004:163-209. , , .
- Multiple micronutrient powders for home (point-of-use) fortification of foods in pregnant women: a systematic review. WHO e-Library of Evidence for Nutrition Actions. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011. , , , , .
- Workshop Report on Scaling Up the Use of Micronutrient Powders to Improve the Quality of Complementary Foods for Young Children in Latin America and the Caribbean. 1–4 June 2010 Mexico City, Mexico. Panama: UNICEF Oficina Regional para America Latina y el Caribe, 2010. .
- Iron supplementation for the control of iron deficiency in populations at risk. Nutrition Reviews 1997;55(6):195-209. .
- World Food Programme/DSM. Dealing with diarrhoea in children in refugee, emergency and development situations in the context of micronutrient powder use. Technical brief 2010; Vol. 1, issue 3.
- World Health Organization. Iron deficiency anaemia assessment prevention and control: a guide for program managers. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2001:132.
- World Health Organization. Global health risks: mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2009.
- World Health Organization. Global prevalence of vitamin A deficiency of populations at risk 1995-2005. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2009.
- World Health Organization. Malaria. In: Poumerol G, Wilder-Smith A editor(s). Malaria. International Travel and Health. Situation as on 1 January 2010. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010.
- World Health Organization. World malaria report: 2010. Vol. http://www.who.int/malaria/world_malaria_report_2010/worldmalariareport2010.pdf, Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010.
- World Health Organization. Haemoglobin concentrations for the diagnosis of anaemia and assessment of severity. Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Information System. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Serum ferritin concentrations for the assessment of iron status and iron deficiency in populations. Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Information System. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011 (WHO/NMH/NHD/MNM/11.2).
- World Health Organization. Guideline: Intermittent iron supplementation in preschool and school-age children. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Guideline: Use of multiple micronutrient powders for home fortification of foods consumed by infants and children 6–23 months of age. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Worldwide prevalence of anaemia 1993–2005. In: de Benoist B, McLean E, Egli I, Cogswell M editor(s). WHO Global Database on Anaemia. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2008.
- Effects of vitamin D supplementation on bone density in healthy children:systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2011;25:342:c7254. , , , .