Fortification of rice with vitamins and minerals for addressing micronutrient malnutrition
Editorial Group: Cochrane Public Health Group
Published Online: 13 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
How to Cite
Ashong J, Muthayya S, De-Regil LM, Laillou A, Guyondet C, Moench-Pfanner R, Burford BJ, Peña-Rosas JP. Fortification of rice with vitamins and minerals for addressing micronutrient malnutrition (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD009902. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009902.
- Publication Status: New
- Published Online: 13 JUN 2012
A2Z Project 2008
- A2Z Project. In: Alavi S, Bugusu B, Cramer G, Dary O, Lee TC, Martin L, McEntire J, Wailes E editor(s). Rice fortification in developing countries: A critical review of the technical and economic feasibility. Washington DC: Academy for Educational Development, 2008.
- Vitamin and mineral deficiency: A global progress report. Ottawa, Canada/New York: UNICEF, 2004. .
- The economics of addressing nutritional anemia. In: Kraemer K, Zimmermann MB editor(s). Nutritional Anemia. Basel: Sight and Life Press, 2007:19-35. , .
American Rice Inc. 2004
- Nutritional Information. http://www.amrice.com/6-4.cfm 2004. .
- Folic Acid Working Group. Fortification of flour with folic acid. Food Nutrition Bulletin 2010;31 Suppl1:22-35. , , , .
- Can multi-micronutrient food fortification improve the micronutrient status, growth, health, and cognition of schoolchildren? A systematic review. Nutrition Reviews 2011;69(4):186–204. , , , , , .
- Micronutrient malnutrition, infection, and immunity: an overview. Nutrition Reviews 2002;60(5 Pt 2):4-45. .
- Introduction to Meta-Analysis (Statistics in Practice). Chichester (UK): John Wiley & Sons, 2008. , , , .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Trends in wheat-flour fortification with folic acid and iron. MMWR 2008;57(01):8-10.
Cochrane PHG 2010
- Cochrane Public Health Group. Guide for developing a Cochrane Protocol, Version 2. The Cochrane Collaboration. Public Health Group, 2010.
Codex Alimentarius 1994
- FAO/WHO editor(s). Codex general principles for the addition of essential nutrients to foods. CAC/GL 09-1987 (as amended 1989, 1991). Second Edition. Vol. 4, Rome: Joint FAO/WHO Food Stardards Programme, Codex Alimentarius Commission, 1994. . In:
de Benoist 2008
- Rice fortification for developing countries. www.mostproject.org/PDF/rice4.pdf (accessed May 7th 2011). Fayetteville, AR: OMNI/USAID, August 1998. .
- Nutririce Process: A breakthrough in rice fortification. http://www.buhlergroup.com/global/downloads/NutriRice_Process_EN.pdf 2010:1-8. .
- European Food Safety Authority. Folic acid: an update on scientific developments. Parma: European Food Safety Authority, 2009. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/home/publication/efsafolicacid.pdf.
- FAO Statistical Yearbook. World Food and Agriculture. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2012. http://www.fao.org/docrep/015/i2490e/i2490e00.htm. , .
- Code of Federal Regulations. 137.350 Enriched rice. Title 21--Food and Drugs. Chapter 1--Food and Drug Administration, Department of Health and Human Services. Part 137 cereals flours and related products (4-1-01 Edition). Washington DC: United States Government, 2001.
- Bioavailability of vitamin A in a synthetic rice premix. Journal of Food Science 1994;59(2):371-2. , , , , , .
- RiFoRG. Rice Fortification Frequently Asked Questions. http://www.gainhealth.org/riforg/sites/default/files/RiFoRG_FAQs_Jan%202011.pdf 2010. .
GRADEpro 2008 [Computer program]
- GRADEpro Version 3.2 for Windows. Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE) Working Group, 2008. , , .
- Beyond Food Security. http://www.worldfoodscience.org/cms/?pid=1004751 2011. .
- Recent advances in knowledge of zinc nutrition and human health. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2009;30 Suppl(1):5-11. , , , , .
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org. The Cochrane Collaboration, [updated March 2011]. , , editors.
- Prevention of micronutrient deficiencies: tools for policy makers and public health workers. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1998. , , .
- White rice consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes:meta-analysis and systematic review. BMJ 2012;344(e1454 doi: 10.1136/bmj.e1454 (Published 16 March 2012)):1-9. , , , .
- Efficacy of iron fortification compared to iron supplementation among Vietnamese schoolchildren. Nutrition Journal [electronic resource] 2006;5(32):1-8. , , , , .
- Iron bioavailability and dietary reference values. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2010;91 Suppl:1461–7. , .
- Reducing birth defects: meeting the challenge in the developing world. Washington: National Academies Press, 2003. , , , editors.
- International Rice Research Institute. IRRI World Rice Statistics. (http://beta.irri.org/solutions/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=250) (accessed June 29th 2011). 2010.
- Rice in human nutrition. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), 1993. .
- Effect of milling, processing, washing, cooking and storage on thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin in rice. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas, College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1945. Bulletin (University of Arkansas. (Fayetteville campus). Agricultural Experiment Station) No. 458. .
- Vitamin A fortification of wheat flour: considerations and current recommendations. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2010;31 Suppl(1):47-61. , , , , , , .
- Vitamin fortified rice grain using spraying and soaking methods. Food Science and Technology 2011;44(1):312-20. , , .
Leon Guerrero 2009
- Recommendations for accelerating global action to prevent folic acid–preventable birth defects and other folate deficiency diseases: Meeting of experts on preventing folic acid–preventable neural tube defects. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology 2004;70(11):835-7. , , .
- Social determinants of health behaviours and social change (editorial). The European Journal of Public Health 2012;[Epub ahead of print]:1. , .
- Global burden of iron deficiency anaemia in the year 2000. Global Burden of Diseases 2000 Working Paper, World Health Organization, Geneva 2002. , .
- The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration. Review Manager. (RevMan). 5.0.. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011.
- Vitamin A deficiency. Health, survival and vision. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996. , .
- Scientific basis for the content of routine antenatal care. I. Philosophy, recent studies and power to eliminate or alleviate adverse maternal outcomes. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica 1997;76(1):1-14. , .
- World Health Assembly. Resolution WHA63.17. Birth defects. Sixty-third World Health Assembly, Geneva 17-21 May 2010. Resolutions and decisions. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010.
- Recommendations on wheat and maize flour fortification. Meeting Report: Interim Consensus Statement. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2009 (http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/micronutrients/wheat_maize_fort.pdf) (accessed May 9th 2011). , , , , , .
- Iron deficiency anaemia: assessment, prevention, and control. Iron deficiency anaemia: assessment, prevention, and control. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2001. .
- World Health Organization. The World health report 2002: reducing risks, promoting healthy life. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2002.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Global prevalence of vitamin A deficiency in populations at risk 1993-2005. Global Database on Vitamin A Deficiency. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2009.
- World Health Organization. Global health risks: mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks.. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2009.
- Health and nutrition of children: equity and social determinants. In: Blas E, Sivasankara Kurup A editor(s). Equity, social determinants and public health programmes. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241563970_eng.pdf:32-49. , , , .
- World Health Organization. Guideline: Use of multiple micronutrient powders for home fortification of foods consumed by infants and children 6–23 months of age. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Intermittent iron supplementation for menstruating women. (http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/micronutrients/weekly_iron_folicacid.pdf, 2011 (accessed April 7th 2012).
- World Health Organization. Guideline: Daily iron and folic acid supplementation in pregnant women. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Guideline: Intermittent iron supplementation in preschool and school age children. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Guideline: Intermittent iron and folic acid supplementation in non anaemic pregnant women. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Guideline: vitamin A supplementation in infants and children 6–59 months of age. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Worldwide prevalence of anaemia 1993-2005. WHO Global Database on Anaemia.. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2008.
- World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Logic model for micronutrient interventions in public health. Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Information System. (WHO/NMH/NHD/MNM/11.5) (http://www.who.int/vmnis/toolkit/WHO-CDC-english_colour.pdf, accessed 7 July 2011).. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization, , . Vitamin and mineral requirements in human nutrition. 2nd Edition. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2004.
- WHO/FAO Guidelines on food fortification with micronutrients. World Health Organization, Geneva, 2006. , , , .
- World Health Organization, . Safe vitamin A dosage during pregnancy and lactation. Recommendations and report of a consultation meeting. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1998.