This is not the most recent version of the article. View current version (8 JAN 2015)
Parent-infant psychotherapy for improving parental and infant mental health
Editorial Group: Cochrane Developmental, Psychosocial and Learning Problems Group
Published Online: 31 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
How to Cite
Barlow J, Bennett C, Midgley N. Parent-infant psychotherapy for improving parental and infant mental health (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD010534. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD010534.
- Publication Status: New
- Published Online: 31 MAY 2013
This is not the most recent version of the article. View current version (08 JAN 2015)
- The Parenting Stress Index. Charlottesville, VA: Pediatric Psychology Press, 1983. .
- Individual differences in strange situation behavior of one-year-olds. In: Schaffer HR editor(s). The Origins of Human Social Relations. New York: Academic Press, 1971:17-57. , , .
- Infant-mother attachment and social development: socialization as a product of reciprocal responsiveness to signals. In: Richards MPM editor(s). The Integration of a Child into a Social World. London: Cambridge University Press, 1974:97-119. , , .
- Interventions with video feedback and attachment discussions: does type of maternal insecurity make a difference?. Infant Mental Health Journal. Wiley Subscription Services, Inc., A Wiley Company, 1998; Vol. 19, issue 2:202-19. , , .
- Nursing Child Assessment Feeding Scale. Seattle, WA: University of Washington, 1978. .
- Nursing Child Assessment Teaching Scale. Seattle, WA: University of Washington, 1978. .
- Bayley Scales of Infant Development. New York: Psychological Corporation, 1969. .
- The contribution of mother-infant mutual influence to the origins of self-and object representations. Psychoanalytic Psychology 1988; Vol. 5, issue 4:305. , .
- Early resilience in the context of parent–infant relationships: a social developmental perspective. Current problems in pediatric and adolescent health care 2011; Vol. 41, issue 7:197-201. , .
- The influence of early attachments on other relationships.. Handbook of attachment: Theory, research, and Clinical Applications. 2nd Edition. New York, US: Guilford Press, 2008:333-47. , , , , .
- Emotional Availability Scales. Health Science Center, University of Colorado, Denver, USA 1993. , , .
- Are infant-toddler social-emotional and behavioral problems transient?. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 2006; Vol. 45, issue 7:849-58. , , , , .
- Atypical Maternal Behaviour instrument for assessment and classification. Harvard Medical School 1999. , , .
- Manual of the Infant-Toddler Social-Emotional Assessment. Yale University, New Haven, CT 2000. , .
- Onset of physical abuse and neglect: psychiatric, substance abuse, and social risk factors from prospective community data. Child Abuse and Neglect. 1996/03/01 1996; Vol. 20, issue 3:191-203. , , .
- Fostering secure attachment in infants in maltreating families through preventive interventions. Development and Psychopathology. 2006/12/13 2006; Vol. 18, issue 3:623-49. , , .
- The differential impacts of early physical and sexual abuse and internalizing problems on daytime cortisol rhythm in school-aged children. Child Development. 2010/03/25 2010; Vol. 81, issue 1:252-69. , , , .
- The parent-infant early relational assessment: instrument and manual. Madison: Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin Medical School 1985. .
- Watch, wait and wonder: testing the effectiveness of a new approach to mother-infant psychotherapy. Infant Mental Health Journal 1999;20(4):429-51. , , , , , , et al.
- Six-month follow-up of two mother-infant psychotherapies: convergence of therapeutic outcomes. Infant Mental Health Journal 2002;23(4):361-80. , , , , .
- Evaluation of changes in mother–infant brief psychotherapy: a single case study. Infant Mental Health Journal 1988;9(1):20-45. , .
- 'Still-face' interactions between mothers with borderline personality disorder and their 2-month-old infants. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2003/09/02 2003; Vol. 183, issue 3:239-47. , , .
- Quality of attachment in the preschool years. Development and Psychopathology 1992; Vol. 4, issue 2:209-41. .
- CARE-index: Coding Manual. Miami, FL 2001. .
De Wolff 1997
- Sensitivity and attachment: a meta-analysis on parental antecedents of infant attachment. Child Development. 1997/08/01 1997; Vol. 68, issue 4:571-91. , .
- Pediatric Disorders of Regulation in Affect and Behavior: A Therapist’s Guide to Assessment and Treatment. New York: Academic Press, 2000. .
- Prediction of childhood problems at three years in children experiencing disorders of regulation during infancy. Infant Mental Health Journal 2000;21(3):156-75. , , , , .
- The foundation years: preventing poor children becoming poor adults. The Report of the Independent Review on Poverty and Life Chances. London, UK: Stationery Office, 2010. .
- Affect Regulation, Mentalization and the Development of the Self. New York: Other Press, 2002. , , , .
- Clinical Studies in Infant Mental Health: The First Year of Life. Basic Books, 1980. .
- Annotation: attachment disorganisation and psychopathology: new findings in attachment research and their potential implications for developmental psychopathology in childhood. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2002/10/31 2002; Vol. 43, issue 7:835-46. , .
- Maternal reflective functioning, mother-infant affective communication, and infant attachment: exploring the link between mental states and observed caregiving behavior in the intergenerational transmission of attachment. Attachment and Human Development 2005;7(3):299-311. [PUBMED: 16210241] , , .
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis. Statistics in Medicine 2002;21(11):1539-58. , .
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org. , .
- Disorganized mental processes in mothers, frightened/frightening behavior in caregivers, and disoriented, disorganized behavior in infancy. Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Washington, DC. Developmental Psychopathology. 1997; Vol. 17:329-47. , , .
- Evidence for the continuity of early problem behaviors: application of a developmental model. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 1998; Vol. 26, issue 54:441. , , .
- Process and Outcome Research in Child, Adolescent and Parent-Infant Psychotherapy. North Central London Strategic Health Authority 2007. , , .
- Diagnoses and interactive patterns of infants referred to a community-based infant mental health clinic. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2001/02/24 2001; Vol. 40, issue 1:27-35. , , .
- Attachment and Subjective Well-being: the Mediating Role of Emotional Processing and Regulation [PhD thesis]. Toronto University, 2008. .
- Preventive intervention and outcome with anxiously attached dyads. Child Development 1991; Vol. 62, issue 1:199-209. , , .
- Childhood experiences of trauma and loss have different relations to maternal unresolved and hostile-helpless states of mind on the AAI. Attachment and Human Development 2003;5(4):330-52; discussion 409-14. , , , .
- Frightening, frightened, dissociated or disorganised behaviour on the part of the parent: a coding system for parent-infant interaction. Unpublished manuscript. University of California at Berkeley 1992. , .
- www.marmotreview.org (accessed 20 February 2013). . [The Marmot Review. Fair society, healthy lives: a strategic review of health inequalities in England post-2010].
- Rethinking maternal sensitivity: mothers' comments on infants' mental processes predict security of attachment at 12 months. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2001/07/24 2001; Vol. 42, issue 5:637-48. , , , .
- Issues in infant-parent psychotherapy for mothers with borderline personality disorder. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2008/10/18 2008; Vol. 13, issue 4:505-14. , .
- Mother-infant interaction in postpartum women with severe mental illness, before and after treatment. Archives of Women’s Metal Health 2005; Vol. 8:120. , , , , .
- Mind-mindedness and maternal responsiveness in infant-mother interactions in mothers with severe mental illness. Psychological Medicine. 2010/01/28 2010; Vol. 40, issue 11:1861-9. , , , , , .
- The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration. Review Manager (RevMan). 5.2. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011.
- A behavioural screening questionnaire for use with three-year-old children. Preliminary findings. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 1971;12(1):5-33. [: 1469-7610] , .
- Appendix 6: A children's behavior questionnaire for completion by parents. Education, Health, and Behavior: Psychological and Medical Study of Childhood Development. New York: Wiley, 1970:412-21. , , .
- Predictors (0–10 months) of psychopathology at age 1½ years–a general population study in The Copenhagen Child Cohort CCC 2000*. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 2008; Vol. 49, issue 5:553-62. [: 1469-7610] , , , , , .
- Mental health problems and psychopathology in infancy and early childhood. An epidemiological study. Danish Medical Bulletin 2010; Vol. 57, issue 10:B4193. .
- Maternal reflective functioning and attachment: considering the transmission gap. Paper presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development. Minneapolis, MN, April 2001. , , , , .
- The Parent Development Interview - Revised. The City University of New York 2004. , , , .
- Emotional Development: The Organization of Emotional Life in the Early Years. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997. .
- Placing early attachment experiences in developmental context: the Minnesota longitudinal study. Attachment from Infancy to Adulthood: The Major Longitudinal Studies. New York, NY: Guilford Publications, 2005. , , , .
- How early bonding, depression, illicit drug use, and perceived support work together to influence drug-dependent mothers' caregiving. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 2005/08/03 2005; Vol. 75, issue 3:431-45. , , , .
- The effectiveness of parent-child interaction therapy with depressive mothers: the changing relationship as the agent of individual change. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. 2011/04/12 2011; Vol. 42, issue 4:406-23. , , , , , .
- The efficacy of toddler-parent psychotherapy to reorganize attachment in the young offspring of mothers with major depressive disorder: a randomized preventive trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2006/12/13 2006; Vol. 74, issue 6:1006-16. , , , .
- Emotions and emotional communication in infants. American Psychologist 1989; Vol. 44, issue 2:112. [: 1935-990X] .
- Depressed mothers and infants: failure to form dyadic states of consciousness. In: Murray LCP editor(s). Post-Partum Depression and Child Development. New York: Guilford, 1997:54-85. [: 157230197X] , .
- Cocaine exposure is associated with subtle compromises of infants' and mothers' social-emotional behavior and dyadic features of their interaction in the face-to-face still-face paradigm. Developmental Psychology. 2005/09/22 2005; Vol. 41, issue 5:711-22. , , , , , , et al.