Methylphenidate for core and ADHD-like symptoms in children aged 6 to 18 years with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs)
Editorial Group: Cochrane Developmental, Psychosocial and Learning Problems Group
Published Online: 13 AUG 2014
Copyright © 2014 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
How to Cite
Redman T, Scheermeyer E, Ogawa M, Sparks EC, Taylor JC, Tran VT, Sturman N, van Driel ML. Methylphenidate for core and ADHD-like symptoms in children aged 6 to 18 years with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 8. Art. No.: CD011144. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011144.
- Publication Status: New
- Published Online: 13 AUG 2014
- Australian Advisory Board on Autism Spectrum Disorders. The prevalence of autism in Australia: can it be established from existing data? Overview and report. www.autismaus.com.au/uploads/pdfs/PrevalenceReport.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- Parenting Stress Index: Manual, Administration Booklet and Research Update. Charlottesville: Paediatric Psychology Press, 1983. .
- Manual for the Child Behaviour Checklist (CBCL), the Teachers Report Form (TRF) and the Youth Self Report (YSR). Burlington, VT: Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont, 1991. .
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 3rd Edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1987.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th Edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Stastical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th Edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
- Siblings' experiences of having a brother or sister with autism and mental retardation: a case study of 14 siblings from five families. Journal of Pediatric Nursing 2007;22(5):410–8. , .
- Attention and autism: behavioral and electrophysiological evidence. In: Cohen DJ, Volkmar FR editor(s). Handbook of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder. 2nd Edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1997:226-47. , , .
- Systematic Reviews in Health Care: Meta-Analysis in Context. 2nd Edition. London, UK: BMJ Publishing Group, 2001. , , .
- GRADEprofiler. 3.2 for Windows 2008. [: http://tech.cochrane.org/revman/gradepro] , , .
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org. , .
- New DSM-5 includes changes to autism criteria. AAP News: http://aapnews.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/06/04/aapnews.20130604-1 (accessed 24 May 2014). .
- Autistic disturbances of affective contact. Nervous Child 1943;2:217-50. .
Mayo Clinic 2014
- Methylphenidate (oral route). www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR601847/DSECTION=proper-use (accessed 5 April 2014). .
- New Zealand Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Authority. Methylphenidate - updated guidance when treating children. http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/Methylphenidate.htm (accessed 24 May 2014).
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Autism - the management and support of children and young people on the autism spectrum. www.guidance.nice.org.uk/CG170 (accessed 1 April 2014).
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): overview. www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/autism/Pages/default.aspx (accessed 5 April 2014).
- Autism. www.aafp.org/afp/2008/0915/p758.html (accessed 5 April 2014). .
- The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration. Review Manager (RevMan). 5.2. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2012.
- Australian Medicines Handbook. 11th Edition. Adelaide: Australian Medicines Handbook Pty Ltd, 2010. , , , , , , et al.
RUPP Autism Network 2005
- Impact of comorbid autism spectrum disorders on stimulant response in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a retrospective and prospective effectiveness study. Child: Care, Health and Development 2006;32(5):575-83. , , , , .
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. Assessment, diagnosis and clinical interventions for children and young people with autism spectrum disorders: a national clinical guideline. www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/sign98.pdf (accessed 11 April 2014).
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: management. American Family Physician 2001;64(8):1355-63. , .
- Management Guidelines: Developmental Disability. Version 3. Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Limited, 2012. .
- World Health Organization. The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders: Clinical Descriptions and Diagnostic Guidelines. 10th Edition. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2007.