Published Online: 15 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
How to Cite
Gutiérrez, J. L. and Jones, C. G. 2008. Ecosystem Engineers. eLS.
- Published Online: 15 DEC 2008
Ecosystem engineers, or more precisely physical ecosystem engineers, are organisms that change the abiotic environment by physically altering structure. As a consequence they often, but not invariably, have effects on other biota and their interactions, and on ecosystem processes. The physical ecosystem engineering concept interconnects a number of important ecological and evolutionary concepts and is particularly relevant to environmental management.
- extended organismal physics;
- structural modification by organisms;
- abiotic environmental change;
- effects on species and ecosystems