You have free access to this content
Stable Isotope Ecology
Published Online: 15 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
How to Cite
Newton, J. 2010. Stable Isotope Ecology. eLS. .
- Published Online: 15 JAN 2010
- 2008) Alternative migration and host parasitism strategies and their long-term stability in river lampreys from the River Endrick, Scotland. Journal of Fish Biology 72: 2456–2466. , , and (
- 2004) Determining trophic niche width: a novel approach using stable isotope analysis. Journal of Animal Ecology 73: 1007–1012. , , , and (
- 2005) Assortative mating as a mechanism for rapid evolution of a migratory divide. Science 310: 502–504. , , et al. (
- 2003) Interpolating the isotopic composition of modern meteoric precipitation. Water Resources Research 39: 1299. and (
- 2007) Determining biological tissue turnover using stable isotopes: the reaction progress variable. Oecologia 151: 175–189. , , et al. (
- 2009) History of animals using isotope records (HAIR): a 6-year dietary history of one family of African elephants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 106: 8093–8100. , , , and (
- 1997) The use of isotope tracers for identifying populations of migratory birds. Oecologia 109: 132–141. , , et al. (
- 1999) Environmental Isotopes in Hydrogeology. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. and (
- 2001) A new approach for detecting and mapping sewage impacts. Marine Pollution Bulletin 42: 149–156. , , , and (
- 1976) You are what you eat (plus a few permil): the carbon isotope cycle in food chains. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs 8: 834–835. and (
- 1981) Influence of diet on the distribution of nitrogen isotopes in animals. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 45: 341–351. and (
- 2007) Compound-specific stable isotope analysis in ecology. In: Michener R and Lajtha K (eds) Stable Isotopes in Ecology and Environmental Science, pp. 480–540. Oxford, UK: Blackwell. , , et al. (
- 1982) On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , and (
- de Groot PA (ed.) (2004) Handbook of Stable Isotope Analytical Techniques, vol. 1. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- de Groot PA (ed.) (2009) Handbook of Stable Isotope Analytical Techniques, vol. 2. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- 1998) Stable carbon and nitrogen isotope patterns in baleen from eastern Arctic bowhead whales (Balena mysticetus). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55: 2601–2607. and (
- 1997) Linking breeding and wintering grounds of neotropical migrant songbirds using stable isotope analysis of feathers. Oecologia 109: 142–148. and (
- 2004) Using stable hydrogen and oxygen isotope measurements of feathers to infer geographical origins of migrating European birds. Oecologia 141: 477–488. , , , and (
- 1999) Stable isotopes (δD and δ13C) are geographic indicators of natal origins of Monarch butterflies in eastern North America. Oecologia 120: 397–404. , and (
- 1997) Tansley review no. 95: 15N natural abundance in soil–plant systems. New Phytologist 137: 179–203. (
- 2006) Temporal and intrapopulation variation in prey choice of wintering geese determined by stable isotope analysis. Journal of Animal Ecology 75: 1190–1200. , , et al. (
- 2001) Carrying large fuel loads during sustained bird flight is cheaper than expected. Nature 413: 730–732. , , , and (
- 1992) Discrimination between 12C and 13C by marine plants. Oecologia 91: 481–492. , and (
- 1998) Tracing marine biomass into tidal freshwater ecosystems using stable sulfur isotopes. Naturwissenschaften 85: 544–546. , and (
- 1994) Carbon isotope discrimination and water-use efficiency in native plants of the north-central Rockies. Ecology 75: 1887–1895. and (
- Matthews DE and Beauchemin D (ed.) (2010) Encyclopedia of Mass Spectrometry, Volume 5: Elemental, Isotopic and Inorganic Mass Spectrometry. Oxford, UK: Elsevier. forthcoming.
- 1950) Improvements in mass spectrometers for the measurement of small differences in isotope abundance ratios. Review of Scientific Instruments 21: 724–730. , , , and (
- 2007) Stable carbon and nitrogen isotope ratio profiling of sperm whale teeth reveals ontogenetic movements and trophic ecology. Oecologia 151: 605–615. , , , and (
- 1984) Stepwise enrichment of 15N along food chains: further evidence and the relation between δ15N and animal age. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 48: 1135–1140. and (
- 2008) Incorporating uncertainty and prior information into stable isotope mixing models. Ecology Letters 11: 470–480. and (
- 2006) Using stable isotope analysis to determine the winter moult extent in migratory birds: the complex moult of Savi's warblers Locustella luscinioides. Journal of Avian Biology 37: 117–124. , , and (
- 1988) Carbon isotopes in photosynthesis. Bioscience 38: 328–336. (
- 2005) Pathways of N and C uptake and transfer in stream food webs: an isotope enrichment experiment. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 24: 955–975. , , and (
- 2008) SIAR: Stable Isotope Analysis in R. http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/siar/index.html , , and (
- 2003) Source partitioning using stable isotopes: coping with too many sources. Oecologia 136: 261–269. and (
- 2002) Using stable isotopes to estimate trophic position: models, methods, and assumptions. Ecology 83: 703–718. (
- 1993) Mineralization and assimilation in soil–plant systems. In: Knowles R and Blackburn TH (eds) Nitrogen Isotope Techniques, 311pp. San Diego, CA: Academic Press. and (
- 1982) Plankton 13C:12C ratio changes with latitude: differences between northern and southern oceans. Deep-Sea Research 29: 1035–1039. , and (
- 1971) Two categories of 13C/12C ratios for higher plants. Plant Physiology 47: 380–384. and (
- 1983) Fractionation and turnover of stable carbon isotopes in animal tissues: implications for δ13C analysis of diet. Oecologia 57: 32–37. , , and (
- 2003) Sources of variation in consumer-diet δ15N enrichment; a meta-analysis. Oecologia 136: 169–182. and (
- 2007) Global patterns of aquatic food chain length. Oikos 116: 1378–1388. and (
- 1999) Patterns of food chain length in lakes: a stable isotope study. American Naturalist 154: 406–416. , , and (
- 2003) In situ experimental evidence of the fate of a phytodetritus pulse at the abyssal sea floor. Nature 424: 763–766. , , et al. (
- 2008) Analysis and design for isotope-based studies of migratory animals. In: Hobson KA and Wassenaar LI (eds) Tracking Animal Migration with Stable Isotopes, 144pp. Amsterdam: Academic Press. and (
- 2006) Stable Isotope Ecology, 308pp. New York: Springer. (
- Hobson KA and Wassenaar LI (eds) (2008) Tracking Animal Migration with Stable Isotopes, 144pp. Amsterdam, Holand: Academic Press/Elsevier.
- Michener R and Lajtha K (eds) (2007) Stable Isotopes in Ecology and Environmental Science, 566pp. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
- 1997) Doubly Labelled Water: Theory and Practice, 416pp. London: Springer. (