Brahms, Johannes (1833–1897)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Stoltzfus, P. 2011. Brahms, Johannes (1833–1897). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
German composer representative of the Romantic temperament in 19th century music, Brahms is known for his expansive symphonic and chamber music, intimate songs and piano pieces, and choral works.
- Brahms, Johannes (1833–1897);
- German composer, of the romantic temperament;
- sacred work, A German requiem;
- Brahms’ religious sensibility, matter for debate;
- closer, to mildly agnostic position;
- the requiem, Brahms' humanistic approach;
- rejection, of traditional latin liturgical text;
- Brahms, and classical forms of “absolute” music