Catherine of Siena (1347–1380)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Weppler, A. and Murray, K. S.-J. 2011. Catherine of Siena (1347–1380). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Caterina di Iacopo di Benincasa was born in 1347 in Siena. At age 6, Catherine experienced a vision of Christ dressed in papal robes. This first vision influenced her decision at a young age to be dedicated to Christ as a virgin and Dominican. After the experience she began ascetic practices.
- Catherine of Siena (1347–1380);
- experiencing vision of christ;
- dedicated to christ;
- as a virgin and dominican;
- siennese group of widowed laywomen;
- the mantellate;
- serving the sick and poor;
- Catherine's mysticism and ascetic practices;
- Catherine's spontaneous prayers;
- the dialogue of divine providence;
- conception of God as truth and love