Cullmann, Oscar (1902–1999)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Smith, J. E. 2011. Cullmann, Oscar (1902–1999). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Oscar Cullmann, a German-speaking French Lutheran and biblical scholar, was born on February 25, 1902 in Strasbourg, France. Although never ordained, he held several academic posts, including professorships at Strasbourg (1931–1938) and Basle (1938–1972). He died on January 16, 1999. Cullmann was a prolific author, and his published works include: Baptism in the New Testament (1950), Christ and Time (1950), Peter: Disciple, Apostle, Martyr (1953), Early Christian Worship (1953), The Early Church (1956), The Christology of the New Testament (1959), and Salvation in History (1967).
- Cullmann, Oscar (1902–1999);
- eschatological age, and the christ event;
- salvation-historical school of interpretation;
- heilsgeschichte (salvation history);
- God's purposes for all of history, in christ;
- already accomplished and the not yet fulfilled;
- salvation-historical synthesis