David, Johann Nepomuk (1895–1977)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Kurian, G. T. 2011. David, Johann Nepomuk (1895–1977). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Austrian composer who helped to inspire the resurgence of organ music in the 20th century. Beginning his career as an organist he became professor of composition in 1934, director of the Leipzig Conservatory in 1939, director of the Salzburg Mozarteum (1945–1948) and professor of composition (1947–1963) at the Musikhoch-schule in Stuttgart. Many of his works were lost during the Allied bombing of Leipzig in World War II.
- Austrian composer, resurgence of organ music;
- hymns “Pange Lingua” and “Veni, creator spiritus”;
- catholic settings of the mass;
- Stabat Mater, a requiem;
- “Ex Deo Nascimur”;
- David's musical vocabulary, realm of expanded tonality