Machaut, Guillaume De (C.1300–1377)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Kurian, G. T. 2011. Machaut, Guillaume De (C.1300–1377). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization.
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Outstanding French composer of the 14th century. Although he was a priest, church music comprises only a small portion of his output.
- outstanding french composer of the 14th century;
- his mass and two latin motets;
- the mass, messe de notre dame, earliest setting for four voices;
- hoquetus david, based on a melisma from an alleluia verse;
- machaut's music, quintessentially gothic