Eusebius Pamphili (c.265–c.339)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Thompson, G. L. 2011. Eusebius Pamphili (c.265–c.339). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Eusebius studied at, and later became bishop of, Caesarea Maritima (Palestine) a half-century after the famous bible scholar Origen had worked there. Eusebius took the additional name Pamphili (“son of Pamphilus”) in honor of his teacher, with whom he co-authored a Defense of Origen. Making use of the outstanding library of Pamphilus, Eusebius committed himself to elucidating the historical context of Scripture.
- eusebius pamphili (c.265–c.339);
- bishop of, caesarea maritima;
- his onomasticon, biblical geography;
- eusebius, impacted by “great persecution”;
- role in arian controversy