Pratt Green, Fred (1903–2000)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
McElwain, R. D. 2011. Pratt Green, Fred (1903–2000). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
The English hymn writer Fred Pratt Green was born in Roby, England on September 2, 1903, and died in Norwich, England on October 22, 2000. His obituary offers a fitting summation of his contribution to Christian hymnody: “Prolific hymn writer who put Christianity's social concerns to verse” (Guardian, October 31, 2000). He recognized the hymn writer's responsibility to relate Christianity to society and sought to meet this responsibility faithfully.
- pratt green, fred (1903–2000);
- english hymn writer;
- contributions to christian hymnody;
- pratt green's hymns, passionate concern for world peace;
- hymns, integrating christian witness and contemporary need