Gutiérrez Merino, Gustavo (b. 1928)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
García, A. L. 2011. Gutiérrez Merino, Gustavo (b. 1928). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Born on June 8, 1928 in Lima, Peru, to a humble mestizo urban family. He is part Hispanic and part Quechuan Indian. He has distinguished himself for his pastoral action and theological reflection on behalf of the poor in Latin America. He is regarded as the founder of Latin American Liberation theology, although he hides away from this recognition since he believes that a theology of liberation is born in the action (praxis) and reflection from the living experience of the people in response to injustice and poverty.
- Gutiérrez Merino, Gustavo (b. 1928);
- pastoral action, theological reflection, for the poor;
- profound understanding, theology, spirituality and the Gospel;
- Vatican II theology;
- a theology of liberation, Merino's commitment to liberation