Guyon, Madame (1648–1717)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Smith, S. 2011. Guyon, Madame (1648–1717). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Jeanne Marie Bouvier de la Motte-Guyon was born April 13, 1648 in Montargis, France, and died in Blois, June 9, 1717. In early childhood she was placed under the care of the Duchess of Montbason while she was residing with an order of Benedictines. It was here that she showed initial spiritual interest and publicly expressed her complete devotion to Christ.
- Guyon, Madame (1648–1717);
- Madame Guyon's works, embroiled in controversy;
- Guyon, imprisoned for aberrant theology;
- interest in the “inner life,” friendship with Fénelon;
- the Maxims of the Saints