Heidegger, Martin (1889–1976)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Foltz, B. V. 2011. Heidegger, Martin (1889–1976). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
No 20th century philosopher has so strongly influenced Christian thought as Heidegger, and only Wittgenstein approaches his impact within philosophy itself. Yet despite his strongly Christian background, it is questionable whether Heidegger considered himself to be a Christian during most of his career. His work is controversial, both because of his political past, but also because while many see his work as achieving an epochal breakthrough in non-objectifying language, others see it as merely obscure.
- heidegger, martin (1889–1976);
- heidegger, strong influence on christian thought;
- heidegger's philosophical approach, on E. Husserl's phenomenology;
- heidegger's work, as a “confrontation with Christianity”;
- heidegger, and “eco-theology”