Herbert, George (1593–1633)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Veith, G. E. 2011. Herbert, George (1593–1633). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
The British priest and poet George Herbert was born in Montgomery, Wales, on April 3, 1593. His father was Richard Herbert, of a promin-ent English family. His mother, Magdalene, was the patron of John Donne. Though sometimes in the shadow of that metaphysical poet, to whom he has stylistic affinities, George Herbert became one of the greatest religious poets in the English language.
- Herbert, George (1593–1633);
- British priest and poet;
- the country parson, on pastoral care;
- christian's baptism and spiritual struggles;
- poems, spiritual desolation and intense Joy