Hopkins, Gerard Manley (1844–1889)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Veith, G. E. 2011. Hopkins, Gerard Manley (1844–1889). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
English poet, born in Stratford, Essex, on July 28, 1844. His father, Manley, ran an insurance company and was an amateur writer, publishing nonfiction and a volume of poetry. His mother, Kate, published a memoir of her life. Gerard was the oldest of eight children.
- hopkins, gerard manley (1844–1889);
- “sprung rhythm,” modeled after old english verse;
- innovative poetry, in the english language;
- “The Wreck of the Deutschland”;
- neo-medieval Victorian and contemporary verse