Howells, Herbert (1892–1983)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Kurian, G. T. 2011. Howells, Herbert (1892–1983). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization.
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
English composer considered one of the best 20th century liturgical composers in the English cathedral tradition. He taught composition for more than 60 years at the Royal College of Music. From 1936 he served as music director of St. Paul's Girls School. He also produced a corpus of secular works as keyboard pieces, chamber music, and orchestral works.
- howells, herbert (1892–1983);
- english composer, liturgical composers;
- chamber music;
- orchestral works three dances for violin and orchestra;
- organ works, sonatas and six psalm preludes