John Damascene, Saint (c.676–c.750)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Schmidt, A. J. 2011. John Damascene, Saint (c.676–c.750). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization.
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
St. John Damascene was born in about 676 of wealthy, pious parents and baptized as John Mansour in Damascus, Syria. In ecclesiastical circles, he is also known as John of Damascus. His father held a high-ranking civil service position as chief financial officer for Abdul Malek, under the Muslim caliph.
- john damascene, saint (c.676–c.750);
- chief work, fount of knowledge;
- iconoclastic controversy, eruption;
- sacred poems, in iambic for christmas, epiphany, pentecost;
- precursor of Thomas Aquinas