Reid, Thomas (1710–1796)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Bruce, J. E. 2011. Reid, Thomas (1710–1796). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Thomas Reid, a Presbyterian minister in 18th century Scotland, is most well known for his commonsense philosophy, a response to the skepticism of another Scottish philosopher, David Hume. Reid was born on April 26, 1710, in Strachan, Scotland, a town near Aberdeen. Reid attended Marischal College (merged with King's College, Aberdeen in 1860 to form the University of Aberdeen).
- Reid, Thomas (1710–1796);
- presbyterian minister, 18th century Scotland;
- carefully reasoned defense of direct realism;
- metaphysics of human action