Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Baker, D. P. 2011. Shakers. The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
The United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing, or Shakers as they were commonly called, was an early and long-lived flowering of the wave of utopian communities, some religiously based and others not, that flourished in the new United States during its first century. In the mid 19th century, Shaker communities spread widely from Maine through New England, New York, Ohio, and Indiana, to Kentucky. Only one Shaker community remains active today.
- united society of believers in christ's second appearing, or shakers;
- shakerism, camisard prophetism, quaker separatism pacifism;
- shakers, an orderly and bounded structure;
- shaker, communities and religious practices