Smith, Joseph (1805–1844)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Lasater, G. A. S. 2011. Smith, Joseph (1805–1844). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Joseph Smith Jr. was the first “prophet, seer, and revelator” of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, commonly known as the Mormon Church. Founded as a separatist new religious movement in 19th century North America, Smith's church is now considered a mainstream Christian faith, with nearly 13 million members worldwide.
- Smith, Joseph (1805–1844);
- “prophet, seer, and revelator” of mormon church;
- doctrines and covenants and pearl of great price;
- centralized salt lake city, utah church in the US