Urban II, Pope (c.1035–1099; Pontificate from 1088)
Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization
How to Cite
Schmidt, A. J. 2011. Urban II, Pope (c.1035–1099; Pontificate from 1088). The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. .
- Published Online: 25 NOV 2011
The family name of Pope Urban II was Otho de Lagery. He was born in about 1035 to a knightly family and received most of his education in Rheims, northern France, where later he became canon and then archdeacon. In 1070 he entered the abbey at Cluny and became grand prior there, where he remained until 1079 or 1080. Before he was elected pope in March 1088, he had been appointed cardinal bishop in Ostia (southwestern Italy) by Pope Gregory VII.
- Urban II, pope (c.1035–1099; pontificate from 1088);
- family name of Pope Urban II, otho de lagery;
- Urban II, launching of the Crusades;
- renewed prohibition of lay investiture